Related Rate Question

• Thread starter wild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary: Finally, the derivative of a product is the sum of the derivatives of the individual products, so \sqrt{j^2(t) + z^2(t)} = \sqrt{j^2(t) + (z^2(t) - 2)}.
wild
Related Rate Question please help!

I am stuck on this question and need help asap pleasez.

Mr. John is climbing a tree at a rate of 2m/s. After 1 second of climbing Mr. John is noticed by a 2m tall zombie that is 30m away from the tree. The zombie walks towards Mr. John at a rate of 5m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between Mr. John and the zombie when the angle of elevation from the zombie to Mr. John is Pi/4.

i kno that
Dy/Dt = 2m/s.
Dx/Dt is 5m/s.
theta is Pi/4.
i just can't find out how to do this pleasez help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Write down functions j(t) and z(t), then find the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{j^2(t) + z^2(t)}[/itex]. Note that j and z are lines in R^2 space. jx is always 0 and zy is probably 2.

Could you please draw out the situation and then post it up? It would be of big assistance.

wild said:
I am stuck on this question and need help asap pleasez.

Mr. John is climbing a tree at a rate of 2m/s. After 1 second of climbing Mr. John is noticed by a 2m tall zombie that is 30m away from the tree. The zombie walks towards Mr. John at a rate of 5m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between Mr. John and the zombie when the angle of elevation from the zombie to Mr. John is Pi/4.i kno that
Dy/Dt = 2m/s.
Dx/Dt is 5m/s.
theta is Pi/4.
i just can't find out how to do this pleasez help!

Some of what you know isn't true! The angle is a function of time, and is ##\pi/4## only at one particular time. Also, since the zombie (who writes these problems?) is approaching the tree, dx/dt = -5 m/s.

1. What is a related rate question?

A related rate question is a type of problem in calculus where the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. These problems involve finding the rate of change of a specific variable at a given point in time.

2. How do you solve a related rate question?

To solve a related rate question, you must first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information and known mathematical relationships to create an equation that relates the rates of change. Finally, take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common examples of related rate questions?

Some common examples of related rate questions include problems involving rates of change of geometric shapes, such as the changing volume of a cone or the changing area of a sphere. Other examples involve rates of change of physical quantities, such as the speed of a car or the amount of water in a tank.

4. What are some tips for solving related rate questions?

Some tips for solving related rate questions include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all known and unknown quantities, and carefully reading the problem to identify any given rates of change. It is also important to use the correct units and to double-check your solution for accuracy.

5. How do related rate questions relate to real-life situations?

Related rate questions are often used to model real-life situations, such as the growth of a population or the spread of a disease. By understanding how different quantities are related and how they change over time, we can make predictions and solve problems in various fields, including science, engineering, and economics.