1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rate Question

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Related Rate Question plz help!!

I am stuck on this question and need help asap plzz.

Mr. John is climbing a tree at a rate of 2m/s. After 1 second of climbing Mr. John is noticed by a 2m tall zombie that is 30m away from the tree. The zombie walks towards Mr. John at a rate of 5m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between Mr. John and the zombie when the angle of elevation from the zombie to Mr. John is Pi/4.

i kno that
    Dy/Dt = 2m/s.
    Dx/Dt is 5m/s.
    theta is Pi/4.
    i just cant find out how to do this plzz help!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    Re: Related Rate Question plz help!!

Write down functions j(t) and z(t), then find the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{j^2(t) + z^2(t)}[/itex]. Note that j and z are lines in R^2 space. jx is always 0 and zy is probably 2.

4. May 2, 2012 #3

Could you please draw out the situation and then post it up? It would be of big assistance.

5. May 2, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Some of what you know isn't true! The angle is a function of time, and is ##\pi/4## only at one particular time. Also, since the zombie (who writes these problems?) is approaching the tree, dx/dt = -5 m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook