Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Related Rate Question

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Related Rate Question plz help!!

I am stuck on this question and need help asap plzz.

Mr. John is climbing a tree at a rate of 2m/s. After 1 second of climbing Mr. John is noticed by a 2m tall zombie that is 30m away from the tree. The zombie walks towards Mr. John at a rate of 5m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between Mr. John and the zombie when the angle of elevation from the zombie to Mr. John is Pi/4.

i kno that
    Dy/Dt = 2m/s.
    Dx/Dt is 5m/s.
    theta is Pi/4.
    i just cant find out how to do this plzz help!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    Re: Related Rate Question plz help!!

Write down functions j(t) and z(t), then find the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{j^2(t) + z^2(t)}[/itex]. Note that j and z are lines in R^2 space. jx is always 0 and zy is probably 2.

4. May 2, 2012 #3

Could you please draw out the situation and then post it up? It would be of big assistance.

5. May 2, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Some of what you know isn't true! The angle is a function of time, and is ##\pi/4## only at one particular time. Also, since the zombie (who writes these problems?) is approaching the tree, dx/dt = -5 m/s.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook