Solving the Winch Problem at 12m High

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Winch
In summary, a winch at the top of a 12-meter high building pulls a pipe of the same length to a vertical position at a rate of -0.2 meters per second. To find the rate of vertical and horizontal change at the end of the pipe when y=6, the equation s^{2}=x^{2}+(12-y)^{2} is used. Differentiating with respect to time, we get s\frac{ds}{dt}=x\frac{dx}{dt}-(12-y)\frac{dy}{dt}. However, the values for x and dx/dt are needed to solve for the rates of change. By using the smart law of cosines and a right-angled triangle,
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

A winch at the top of 12 meter high building pulls a pipe of the same length to a vertical position. The winch pulls in rope at a rate of -0.2 meters per second. Find the rate of the vertical change and the rate of the horizontal change at the end of the pipe when y=6.

Homework Equations

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i249658_ahhh.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply don't have enough information..

I set up an equation relating the three variables..

[tex]s^{2}=x^{2}+(12-y)^{2}[/tex]

and differentiate with respect to time and end up with

[tex]s\frac{ds}{dt}=x\frac{dx}{dt}-(12-y)\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

But I simply don't have all of the variables needed. I can solve for x (with pythagorean theorem), but not dx/dt...

Any help is appreciated. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
First find the ANGULAR rate of change by a smart law of cosines.
THEN, find the rates of change of (x,y) by using a right-angled triangle.

Likes orangeflover
Thankyou arildno :smile:

I was able to get the correct numerical answer but something is bothering me...

Take the angle made at the top of the wall to be [tex]\theta[/tex]...

We know that [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] must be positive since the angle is tending towards 90deg right?

I got [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{/sqrt{3}}{80}[/tex]... but this leads to something that is incorrect. Because when I set up the following equation to relate x and s, I get this..

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{x}{s} = x(s)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]cos\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}=x(-1)s^{-2}\frac{ds}{dt}+s^{-1}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

which eventually leads to

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=s(cos\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}+x*s^{-2}\frac{ds}{dt})[/tex]

Now, solving for x using the right triangle at the base, [tex]x=\sqrt{12^{2}-6^{2}} = 6*\sqrt{3}[/tex]

and s=12 by similar reasoning

Then [tex]tan\theta=\frac{6\sqrt{3}}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

So solving [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=s(cos\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}+x*s^{-2}\frac{ds}{dt})[/tex]

I get [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{15}[/tex]

Which is the correct magnitude, but the incorrect sign... :/

Last edited:
Well, I used the lowest angle, with the variable length s(t) as the opposite side. I didn't calculate it through, but my signs looked good.

Ok, let me try that and see if I can get it to work.

Wow it worked very smoothly using the lower angle... Correct sign and all. I'll have to think about this problem for a bit. Thanks again.

1. How can you solve the winch problem at 12m high?

There are several ways to solve the winch problem at 12m high, including using a pulley system, using a ladder or scaffolding, or using a crane. The best solution will depend on the specific circumstances and resources available.

2. What is the winch problem at 12m high?

The winch problem at 12m high refers to the challenge of safely lifting and lowering objects or people from a height of 12 meters using a winch. This problem often arises in construction, maintenance, or other tasks where objects need to be lifted to a significant height.

3. Is it safe to use a winch at 12m high?

Using a winch at 12m high can be safe if proper precautions are taken and the winch is operated by trained and experienced individuals. However, it is important to assess the situation carefully and ensure all safety measures are in place before using a winch at this height.

4. What are some potential risks when solving the winch problem at 12m high?

Some potential risks when solving the winch problem at 12m high include equipment failure, falling objects, and accidents related to improper use of the winch. It is important to carefully plan and assess the situation to minimize these risks.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a solution for the winch problem at 12m high?

When choosing a solution for the winch problem at 12m high, factors such as the weight and size of the object, the available resources and equipment, and the level of expertise of the individuals involved should be considered. Additionally, safety should always be the top priority in selecting a solution.