Shadow Rate of Change: Solving a Geometry Problem

In summary, the problem involves a street light on a 20-foot pole and a person walking away from the pole at a rate of 5 feet per second. The person's height is 5 feet and their distance from the pole is 20 feet. Using similar triangles, the solution involves finding the rate of change of the length of the person's shadow (y') in terms of the rate of change of their distance from the pole (x'). By differentiating the equation x = 4y/3, we can find that x' = 5 and solve for y'. The solution can be found in
squall325

Homework Statement

A street light is on top of a 20-foot pole. A person who is 5 feet tall walks away from the pole at the rate of 5 feet per second. At what rate is the tip of the person's shadow moving away from the pole when he is 20 feet from the pole?

2. The attempt at a solution

20/5 = y/y-x (similar triangles)
y = 4x/3 (to solve for x)

im stuck here...

i also checked another solution i got here but i don't know how he got dy/dt = (6/9)*5
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114901

Physics news on Phys.org
squall325 said:

Homework Statement

A street light is on top of a 20-foot pole. A person who is 5 feet tall walks away from the pole at the rate of 5 feet per second. At what rate is the tip of the person's shadow moving away from the pole when he is 20 feet from the pole?

2. The attempt at a solution

20/5 = y/y-x (similar triangles)
y = 4x/3 (to solve for x)

im stuck here...

i also checked another solution i got here but i don't know how he got dy/dt = (6/9)*5
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114901

well that has differnt numbers for a start...

you have
x = 4y/3

what do you want to know? what is the rate of change of the length of shadow (y') in terms of the rate of change of the person distances from the pole (x')

so differntiate both sides of your expression w.r.t t

1. What is the shadow rate of change?

The shadow rate of change is a concept in geometry that measures the rate at which the shadow of an object changes with respect to its position or orientation.

2. How is the shadow rate of change calculated?

To calculate the shadow rate of change, you need to know the height of the object, the distance between the object and the light source, and the angle of elevation of the light source. The formula is: shadow rate of change = height of object / (distance to light source * tangent of angle of elevation).

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous shadow rate of change?

The average shadow rate of change is calculated over a period of time or distance, while the instantaneous shadow rate of change is calculated at a specific moment or point.

4. How can the shadow rate of change be applied in real life?

The shadow rate of change has many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering to determine the placement and angle of structures for optimal sunlight exposure. It is also used in astronomy to calculate the rate of change of the position of celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to using the shadow rate of change?

The shadow rate of change assumes that the ground is flat and the light source is a single point. It may not be accurate in real-world situations where these assumptions do not hold true. Additionally, it is only applicable to objects with a defined height and a shadow that can be measured.