1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Related rates and lighthouse

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lighthouse is located off shore one mile from the nearest point P, on a straight coastline. The light makes 4 revolutions per minute. How fast is the beam of light moving along the shoreline when it is 2 miles from point P?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused. Is this asking when the beam of light is basically rotated a half revolution making the beam 2 miles from the shoreline? Not sure how to set it up.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The beam is NOT "two miles from the shore line". The beam crosses the shoreline at a point 2 miles up the coast from point P. Since the lighthouse itself is 1 mile from P, you have a right triangle with "near side" of lenght 1 and "opposite side" of length 2. At that point the angle the light is pointing, from [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] when pointing at P, is [itex]tan(\theta)= 2/1= 2[/itex] or [math]\theta= tan^{-1}(2)[/itex].

In fact, at any time, the angle, [itex]\theta[/itex], and distance, d, up the shore are related by [itex]tan(\theta)= d/1= d[/itex]
    I have no idea where you got the "half revolution". If you are taking "pointing at P" to be the starting position, a half revolution would have the light pointing directly away from the coast line.

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    so the hypotnuse is the unknown (d). the distance up the shoreline is 2. the distance from P to the light house is 1. How is the tan of theta d/1? wouldn't it be 2/d?

5. Feb 23, 2010 #4
    what formula is going to be used to find the rate of the light beam?

6. Feb 23, 2010 #5
    Any help???! I'm still unsure where to go with this?

7. Feb 23, 2010 #6
    i mean I can't give you the desired related rates method, but if the light is making 4 revoultions per minute, that means that it travels around a circle 4 times in a minute. so if you consider a circle with a radius of 2 miles (since the point is 2 miles away), the light will travel across that point 4 times in a minute (starting from that point) . So find the circumference of that circle, the light will travel the circumference of the circle 4 times in a minute...

8. Feb 24, 2010 #7
    ok, so the circumference is 2 pi and that divided by 4 is pi/2. So i'm still confused on how to find how fast the beam is moving when 2 miles from point P.? The distance from the lighthouse to the point 2 miles from P is Sqrt of 5. ......

9. Feb 24, 2010 #8
    ok i misread a little bit of the problem, but I got it now, you have the point p is sqrt(5) miles away from the light house, so consider a circle from light house of radius 5, the light will make a circle 4 times in a minute, meaning it will travel the length of the circle of circumference sqrt(5) 4 times in one minute. so 4 times the circumference divided by a minute

10. Feb 24, 2010 #9
    A lighthouse is located off shore one mile from the nearest point P, on a straight coastline. The light makes 4 revolutions per minute. How fast is the beam of light moving along the shoreline when it is 2 miles from point P?

lighthouse is one mile from point P......trying to find how fast beam of light is moving along shoreline when 2 miles from point P...

11. Feb 25, 2010 #10
    any help??? still lost

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook