1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates and resistors

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    Hey Guys, I learning about Related rates and although I understand the basic concepts, I'm stuggling with this problem

- When two resistors r1 and R2 are connected in parallel, the total resistance R is given by the equation 1/R=1/R1+1/R2. If R1 and R2 are increasing at rates of .01 ohm/sec and .02 ohm/sec respectively, at what rate is R changing at the instant R1=30 ohms and R2= 90 ohms?

My Work:

dr1/dt= .01
    dr2/dt= .02
    dr/dt= Trying to find this when r1=30 and r2=90
    First what I did was plug in R1 and R2 to get total resistance which i got to be 1/22.5. Next I took the derivative of that equation: -1/r1²(dr/dt)=-1/r²(dr1/dt)-1/r²2(dr/dt). I plugged in R1 and R2 along with dr1/dt and dr2/dt along with the total resistance and tried to solve for dr/dt (total resistance change). But I end up with .018 ohms/sec whereas the answer the book shows is 11/1600 or .006 ohm/sec.

Where did i go wrong? Could someone please show me a easy to follow step by step in getting the answer ^_^, i would greatly appreciate it!.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Don't you mean:
    [tex]\frac{-1}{R^2}\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{-1}{R_1^2}\frac{dR_1}{dt} - \frac{1}{R_2^2}\frac{dR_2}{dt}[/tex]
    Then its just a matter of solving for dr/dt:
    [tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=-R^2(\frac{-1}{R_1^2}\frac{dR_1}{dt} - \frac{1}{R_2^2}\frac{dR_2}{dt})[/tex]
    You can get the value of R from the first equation. The answer comes out right.
  4. Dec 21, 2005 #3

Gold Member

I didn't see this before. This is a mistake. The formula gives you 1/R, so R is actually 22.5, not 1/22.5.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?