1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates and wood nymphs

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1.Suppose the wood nymphs and satyrs are having a hot party in honor of Bacchus and the wine is flowing freely from the bottom of a giant cone-shaped barrel which is 12 feet deep and 6 feet in radius at the top. if the wine is disappearing at a rate of 6 cubic feet per hour, at what rate is the depth of wine in the tank going down when the depth is 4 feet?

2. Relevant equations
    volume of a cone: 1/3(pi)(r^2)(h)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    What have you done to try and solve it?

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    well,
    i figured that dv/dt= -6
    and that im looking for dh/dt
    so:
    v=(1/3)(pi)(r^2)h
    v=(1/3)(pi)(4)h
    v=(4/3)(pi)h
    dv/dt=(4/3)(pi)(dh/dt)
    -6=(4/3)(pi)(dh/dt)
    -24/3(pi)= dh/dt

is that right?

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to have V as a function of h only, not both h and r. You seem to have done that by replacing r by 2 and I can see no reason to do that.

You are told that the entire cone has h= 12 and r= 6 and, as the level reduces it must retain that shape and that ratio: r/h= 6/12= 1/2 so r= (1/2)h.

Oh, I see where you got r= 2: when h= 4, r must be half that, 2. But when you differentiate, you need r as a function of h, not just the value at that particular time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook