1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates Application.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hemispherical dome has a diameter of 100m. A search light was placed at point A as shown at the middle of the dome at B. A balloon was released vertically at a velocity of 4m/s. How fast will the shadow of the balloon move alone the roof if it traveled 25 m vertically.

Image link:http://bit.ly/rem8PG [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to start this. I dont understand the nature of the shadow and why did it bounce off the wall like as shown in the image.

What relationship should i use? Please help me to solve this step by step. I'm willing to learn.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The shadow isn't bouncing off the inside of the dome. That line is just a radius of the dome, from the light out to the hemispherical wall.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Oh, so using that the value of the shadow will have height of 25 m which is 50m from point B after the instant of travelling upwards. But what is the use of the velocity of the balloon? What variables can I use to get the speed of the shadow?

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The shadow travels along the curved surface of the dome. As the balloon rised 25 m. the shadow will move along an arc whose length is r * [itex]\theta][/itex].

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    I can't get θ without knowing how long did the balloon fly over B. If I only how long it took then I would have a fixed value after it traveled solving an angle at point A and getting θ by sine-law and supplementary angles.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    This is what I have so far:

Since we are looking for velocity of shadow
    let that be = d(h)/d(t)

and height of shadow = h

So Sinθ = h/50m
    derivative of this equation is:
    Cosθ(dθ/dt) = [50m(1)[d(h)/d(t)] - h(0)] / 2500

I have no values for θ and (dθ/dt) if I can get this I can get the d(h)/d(t) which is the main requirement of this equation. Still I haven't used the 4m/s velocity of the balloon from point B, I know that has a significant role in solving this but I can't seem to use it. I tried to get it's height after the instant but there is no time given. Help guys?

8. Oct 9, 2011 #7
    Thank you this helped me solve the equation. The speed of the shadow is 6.4m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook