1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates calculation

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    1) (Related Rates) One end of a rope 20 meters long is attached to a box resting on the floor. The other end is passed over a pulley directly above the box, 5 meters above the floor, and attached to the back of a truck at a point 1 meters above the ground. The truck then drives in a straight line away from the pulley at a speed of 0.5 m/s. At what speed is the box rising when the top of the box is 2 meters above the ground?

I really don't get this problem. I can't even start doing the calcultions because I am not sure how to set up the variables in the problem...can someone please give me some guidelines/hints?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    It's a triangle: (not to scale)
    Code (Text):
    Pulley
     |\
    4| \15
     |__\Truck
    1| X
    Box
    With dx/dt=0.5

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    But this is a "related rates" problem, so I believe that there should be more than 1 variable....but I can't figure out where and how to put in the second (or third) variable...

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    Let y be the distance from pulley to the angle opposite 15. Then you have x^2 + y^2 = 225, 2xdx + 2ydy = 0. Then plug in? Will that work?

6. May 8, 2007 #5
    But it says "At what speed is the box rising when the top of the box is 2 meters above the ground?", does it matter that it's 2 meters above? It is higher than the baseline of the triangle...

7. May 8, 2007 #6
    Solve for dy/dt

8. May 9, 2007 #7
    I am quite lost...

If I let y to be the distance from pulley to the angle opposite 15, the box would be somewhere within the line, not at the bottom end of the line...

When the box is 2 meters above, it is higher than the baseline of the triangle...how can I use Pythagoras when the triangle is not fixed? This is the part that I really don't get...

Can anyone please help me? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?