How to Solve a Related Rates Problem Involving a Moving Box and Truck

In summary, the box is rising at a speed of 0.5 meters per second when it is 2 meters above the ground.
kingwinner
1) (Related Rates) One end of a rope 20 meters long is attached to a box resting on the floor. The other end is passed over a pulley directly above the box, 5 meters above the floor, and attached to the back of a truck at a point 1 meters above the ground. The truck then drives in a straight line away from the pulley at a speed of 0.5 m/s. At what speed is the box rising when the top of the box is 2 meters above the ground?

I really don't get this problem. I can't even start doing the calcultions because I am not sure how to set up the variables in the problem...can someone please give me some guidelines/hints?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a triangle: (not to scale)
Code:
Pulley
 |\
4| \15
 |__\Truck
1| X
Box
With dx/dt=0.5

But this is a "related rates" problem, so I believe that there should be more than 1 variable...but I can't figure out where and how to put in the second (or third) variable...

Let y be the distance from pulley to the angle opposite 15. Then you have x^2 + y^2 = 225, 2xdx + 2ydy = 0. Then plug in? Will that work?

But it says "At what speed is the box rising when the top of the box is 2 meters above the ground?", does it matter that it's 2 meters above? It is higher than the baseline of the triangle...

Solve for dy/dt

I am quite lost...

If I let y to be the distance from pulley to the angle opposite 15, the box would be somewhere within the line, not at the bottom end of the line...

When the box is 2 meters above, it is higher than the baseline of the triangle...how can I use Pythagoras when the triangle is not fixed? This is the part that I really don't get...

Can anyone please help me? Thanks!

What is a related rates calculation?

A related rates calculation is a mathematical method used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This is typically used to solve problems involving changing quantities, such as rates of motion or rates of chemical reactions.

What are some common applications of related rates calculations?

Related rates calculations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving changing quantities. Some common applications include finding the speed of an object, the rate of change of a population, or the rate of change of a chemical reaction.

How do you set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you need to identify the variables and their rates of change, and then determine how they are related through an equation. You then take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time and solve for the desired rate of change.

What are some strategies for solving related rates problems?

Some strategies for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram, labeling all known and unknown variables, and applying the chain rule to take the derivative. It is also helpful to write down all relevant equations and plug in the given values before solving for the desired rate of change.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include forgetting to take the derivative, using incorrect units, and not clearly labeling the variables. It is also important to carefully read the problem and ensure that all given information is used correctly in the solution.