Understanding Related Rates: In-Depth Explanation and Homework Help

In summary, related rates involve working with two equations to find the relationship between two quantities and their derivatives. A typical problem would give an equation for angle of elevation and horizontal distance, and you would solve for the derivative of the angle of elevation at a given time. There are resources available online, such as the one provided, for further understanding of this concept.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I am reading about related rates in my calc book but it doesn't really explain it very well. Are there any arcitcals some one can send me that goes indepth about this concept on related rates?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The concept itself isn't that big a deal, so I don't believe there's really much to discuss in depth about it. In these kinds of problems you will be working with two equations. The first equation gives a relationshipw between two quantities in the problem. The second equation gives a relationship between the derivatives (i.e., rates of change) of the first two quantities.

A typical problem goes something like this:
A plane is flying at a constant speed of 120 mph at a constant altitude of 10,000 ft away from an observer on the ground. At what rate is the observer's angle of elevation to the plane changing three minutes after the plane flies directly over the observer?

The first equation I referred to would be an equation that relates the angle of elevation ([itex]\theta[/itex]) and the horizontal distance (x) the plane has flown at an arbitrary time. The second equation (the related rates) would involve d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt and dx/dt. You would solve for d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt, and evaluate it at the indicated time.

Thanks... is that all there is to know ?

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves finding the derivative of one variable while keeping the other variable constant.

2. How is the related rates concept applied in real-life situations?

The related rates concept is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving changing quantities. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include rates of change of geometric figures, rates of change of volumes, and rates of change in geometric relationships (such as the Pythagorean Theorem).

4. What are the steps to solve a related rates problem?

The steps to solve a related rates problem are as follows:
1. Identify the variables and their rates of change.
2. Write an equation that relates the variables.
3. Take the derivative of the equation with respect to time.
4. Substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.
5. Check the solution and interpret the results in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include:
- Not correctly identifying the variables and their rates of change.
- Forgetting to take the derivative of the equation with respect to time.
- Plugging in the given values too early in the problem-solving process.
- Not interpreting the results in the context of the problem.
It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and to follow the steps consistently to avoid these mistakes.