1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates help

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    Code (Text):

A particle is moving along the graph of y=x^1/3.  
    Suppose x is increasing at the rate of 3 cm/s.  
    At what rate is the angle of inclination, theta, changing when x=8?  
    [Hint: when x=8, theta approx. 0.24 rad]

I'm stuck on problem. I know x=8, y=2 and the hyp=2.87. They want the derivative of theta so am I supposed to take the derivative of theta=0.24?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2
    No, you want to find some function that defines theta, and take the derivative of that.

4. Apr 27, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the derivative of a constant (0.24) is 0 so that wouldn't do a whole lot of good would it? :wink: It's a lot more helpful to find the derivative of a function rather than a number! Draw a picture, showing the "angle of inclination" and write theta as a function of x. Then find the derivative of that function with respect to x. (Do you remember that the derivative of a function is the tangent of the angle the tangent line to the graph makes with the x-axis?)

5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    [​IMG]
    Is this correct? Or am I completely off my rocker?:frown:

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're off your rocker. :biggrin:

Try following these steps:

1.) Draw a graph of f(x)=x1/3 vs. x.

2.) Consider an arbitrary point on the curve: (x,y)=(x,x1/3)

3.) Draw a line segment from the origin to (x,y) and drop a vertical line segment down from (x,y) to the x-axis. You now have a right triangle.

4.) The angle made by the line segment (the one connecting (0,0) to (x,y)) and the x-axis is the angle of inclination. Write down an expression for it in terms of x.

Try that and let's see what you come up with.

7. Apr 27, 2006 #6
    [​IMG]
    Is this right?

8. Apr 27, 2006 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far so good, but you're supposed to plug in x=8 and get a number for [itex]d\theta/dt[/itex].

9. Apr 27, 2006 #8
    Sweet! Thanks to all for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?