1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates Help

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    A balloon is 200 ft. off the ground and rising vertically at the constant rate of 15 ft/sec. An automobile passes beneath it traveling along a straight road at the constant rate of 45 mph or 66 ft/sec. How fast is the distance between them changing 1 sec. later?

i know how to do related rates problems...i just don't know where to start with this one...please help!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know what the answer is?

Personally I would just say: "There is no telling what the rate of change of the baloon and of the car will be 1 second later"... maybe a big wind will blow the balloon sideway and maybe in 0.5 seconds later the car will crash into a tree.

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3
    here is my suggestion, have to wait for some one else to check to see if its right.

i formed a right angled triangle
    the vertical side has length 200+15t, the horizontal side has length 66t and let the hypotenuse be x.
    we want to find dx/dt
    using pythagorus we get x^2=291t^2+600t+40000
    from this calculate dx/dt
    pop in t=1 second to get dx/dt=2.9ft/s

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4
    I did sort of the same thing, creating a right triangle with sides x, y, and hyp of d. the taking d^2=x^2+y^2, then taking the derivative, getting d(dd/dt)=x(dx/dt)+y(dy/dt), then subbing in the given numbers, and finding d after one second, I get (224.9ft)(dd/dt)=(66ft)(66ft/sec)+(215ft)(15ft/sec), and when solved, I get (dd/dt)=33.7ft/sec at t=1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?