Related Rates: Calculating the Speed of a Moving Shadow

In summary, the problem involves a man walking away from a pole with a speed of 6 ft/s and a street light mounted on top of the pole. The question asks how fast the tip of the man's shadow is moving when he is 40 ft from the pole. The solution involves using similar triangles and taking derivatives to find the rate of change of the shadow's distance from the man. However, the initial attempt at solving the problem was incorrect and the correct solution was still being worked on.
momogiri
Question
A street light is mounted at the top of a 15 foot tall pole. A man 6 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 6 ft/s along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40 ft from the pole?

Attempt
Well actually, I've drawn it out and stuff, but I was wondering if the tip of shadow would be moving in the same speed as the man..
I'm a bit confused at how to tackle this problem.. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw up some triangles, and remember to use Pythagoras.

Yeah, I drew up my triangle within a triangle, it's attached, so..

The change in speed of the shadow is not the same as the speed of the man, right?
And 40 ft refers to the distance between the pole and the man right? Not between the shadow tip and the pole?

Attachments

• tri.JPG
    tri.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 392
Yes, the problem says "when he is 40 ft from the pole".

But you don't need Pythagoras since the length of the hypotenuse is not relevant. Use "similar triangles".

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
But you don't need Pythagoras since the length of the hypotnuse is not relevant.

I was thinking of something else :( Sorry

Ok, so I tried to do it with similar triangles..

With my image that I attached earlier, I had the similar trigangles
y/6
and
(x+y)/15

(y being the distance of the shadow and the man
x being distance from man and pole)

So [tex]\frac{y}{6} = \frac{x+y}{15}[/tex]
and I solved for x
[tex]15y = 6x+6y[/tex]
[tex]9y = 6x[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{3}{2}y[/tex]
and took derivatives of both sides wrt t
[tex]dx/dt = \frac{3}{2}dy/dt[/tex]
And since the change in x is 6ft/sec
I just plugged in the numbers and found dy/dt to be 4
But it's wrong.

It's probably because I didn't incorporate 40ft as x somewhere, but I'm looking at what I did, and I just don't know what I should do :/

What is the concept of related rates in light and shadow?

The concept of related rates in light and shadow refers to how the position and movement of a light source can affect the size and shape of a shadow. As the light source moves, the shadow changes in size and shape, and the rate of change of the shadow is related to the rate of change of the light source.

How do you calculate the rate of change of a shadow?

The rate of change of a shadow can be calculated by using similar triangles. The ratio of the change in the length of the shadow to the change in the distance of the light source is equal to the ratio of the length of the object to its distance from the light source.

What are some real-life applications of related rates in light and shadow?

Related rates in light and shadow have many real-life applications, such as in solar energy systems, where the position of the sun affects the amount of energy collected by solar panels. It is also used in photography to create different lighting effects and in architecture to design buildings that maximize natural light.

How does the shape of an object affect the shadow it casts?

The shape of an object affects the shadow it casts because the angle at which the light hits the object will determine the length and direction of the shadow. Objects with different shapes will produce shadows with different sizes and shapes.

How can related rates in light and shadow be used in mathematics and physics?

Related rates in light and shadow can be used in mathematics and physics to solve problems related to distance, speed, and acceleration. It is also used in calculus to understand the relationship between the rates of change of different variables in a system.