Finding the Rate of Change of an Angle in a Moving Kite System

In summary: I really appreciate your help.In summary, the problem involves a kite moving 100 ft above the ground with a horizontal speed of 8 ft/s. The question is asking for the rate at which the angle between the string and the horizontal is decreasing when 200 ft of string has been let out. Two equations were used to solve the problem, but there was an error in assuming the length of the string was constant. The correct approach is to use the chain rule and Pythagoras or another trig function to account for the changing length of the hypotenuse over time.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

A kite 100 ft above the ground moves horizontally at a speed of 8 ft/s. At what rate is the angle between the string and the horizontal decreasing when 200ft of the string has been let out?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried two different methods to come up with the answer but I'm not sure which one is correct.

In one case, I've got:

cosθ = x/200

And in the other one:

tanθ = 100/x

However, when I try to derive both sides of both equations in order to get the result, I found out that the values of dθ/dt are actually different for each equation. For example, in the first case:

-sinθ (dθ/dt) = 1/200 (dx/dt)

Clearing this out makes the final result as (-2/25)

On the other hand:

sec2 (dθ/dt) = -(dx/dt) / 3

Clearing this out makes the final result as (-1/50)

Is there a reason for this incongruity or have I made a mistake in my calculations? Thank you very much guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to work out which, if either, approaches are correct by writing down your reasoning.
How did you arrive at those equations?

Firstly, I made a triangle with angles θ, 90-θ and 90. Then, i put in the sides as 100, 100√3 and 200. So i just set up the equations:

cosθ = x/200

tanθ = 100/x

Yes OK - those were your math steps - as far as they go ... but not the reasoning behind them.
It's the reasoning that is important - why did you set up that particular triangle? Why would you expect it to help you find the answer you are looking for?

It looks like you reasoned that the string was almost straight so you could model it as the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle. The height of the kite forms the opposite side, which is given as a constant: y=100ft. You are looking for something (what?) when the hypotenuse is: h=200ft.

It is usually easier to see what's going on if you just keep the variables.

The horizontal distance is x in your equation? Thus ##\small x=h\cos\theta = y/\tan\theta## - which you got.
Of course you can find the angle from the third trig relation, ##\small y=h\sin\theta ##, or by solving the simultaneous equations, but that's not what you are asked to find is it?

How are you factoring in the speed of the kite? Hint: ##\small v=dx/dt (=8\text{ft/s})##

Likes 1 person
"tangent" is defined as "opposite leg over near leg". But the length of string in this problem is the hypotenuse of the triangle, isn't it?

This was bugging me for a while. I kept doing it over and over again and getting the same as you. But the length of the string, 200 ft, is not a constant if the height is constant. It depends on x. That's your mistake. The cos form is wrong because you can't take 200 to be constant, it's sqrt(100^2+x^2), isn't it? The tan form is ok because it doesn't involve assuming the length is a constant. Now I feel stupid.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
@fogfajarash: how are you getting on?

@dick: you are probably correct about where OP (fogavjarash) made the mistake.
The cosine form is OK as ling as you realize that the hypotenuse changes with time - to get the relationship between the rates, you have to use the chain-rule, probably with Pythagoras or another trig function.

The idea was to try to get OP to realize this without actually spelling it out :)

Simon Bridge said:
@fogfajarash: how are you getting on?

@dick: you are probably correct about where OP (fogavjarash) made the mistake.
The cosine form is OK as ling as you realize that the hypotenuse changes with time - to get the relationship between the rates, you have to use the chain-rule, probably with Pythagoras or another trig function.

The idea was to try to get OP to realize this without actually spelling it out :)

I know I'm correct. I worked it out that way. I'm just annoyed it took me so long to figure out the problem. Sorry if I gave away too much.

Thank you guys. I couldn't figure out the problem on my own and I was getting kind of desperate.

1. What is the definition of related rates of an angle?

Related rates of an angle refers to the concept in calculus where the rate of change of one angle is related to the rate of change of another angle in a geometric figure. This is typically represented by a right triangle, where the angles and sides are changing and their rates of change are related to each other.

2. How do you find the related rate of an angle?

To find the related rate of an angle, you first need to identify the variables that are changing and their rates of change. Then, you can use the chain rule in calculus to express the related rate in terms of these variables and their rates of change. Solving for the related rate will give you the answer.

3. What are some real-life applications of related rates of an angle?

Related rates of an angle can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to determine the rate at which a satellite is moving around the Earth or the rate at which a ladder is sliding down a wall.

4. Can related rates of an angle be negative?

Yes, related rates of an angle can be negative. This can happen when the angle is decreasing, resulting in a negative rate of change. It is important to consider the sign of the related rate when solving problems involving related rates of an angle.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of related rates of an angle?

You can practice and improve your understanding of related rates of an angle by solving various problems that involve this concept. There are also many online resources and textbooks that provide practice problems and explanations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a study group can also be beneficial.