1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates of man walking

1. Feb 23, 2007 #1
    A man starts walking north at 6 ft/s from a point P. Five minutes later, a woman starts walking south at 2 ft/s from a point 500 ft due east of P. At what rate are the people moving apart 30 min after the woman starts walking?

so i was ableto set up a right triangle using the x-y plane (y being north and x being east)

so i was trying to relate the components with distance^2=x^2+y^2
    then where i differientate i get dd/dt=dx/dt+dy/dt

i know dy/dt=8 and i want to know dd/dt

there dx/dt=0 becuase there is no change in x.....x is always 500 ft

so would dd/dt=dy/dt=8 ????????
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you differentiated wrong! If [itex]dd^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] then, differentiating, 2dd d(dd)/dt= 2x (dx/dt)+ 2y (dy/dt). Since dx/dt= 0,
    2dd d(dd)/dt= 2y(dy/dt) so dd d(dd)/dt= 2y dy/dt. Now, 30 minutes after the woman starts walking (35 minutes after the man starts walking) what are dd and y?

Very close but not exactly!
  4. Feb 23, 2007 #3
    Pyramid shaped tank...?

Does anyone know how to do this problem on related rates?:

The base of a pyramid-shaped tank is a square with sides of length 8 meters, and the vertex of the pyramid is 8 meters above the base. The tank is filled to a depth of 2 meters, and water is flowing into the tank at the rate of 4 cubic meters per minute. Find the rate of change of the depth of water in the tank. (Hint: the volume of a pyramid is given by V=1/3bh, where b is the base area and h is the height of the pyramid)
  5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please, please, please! Do not "hijack" someone else's thread for a different question. Start your own thread- it's not that difficult!

Okay, can you determine how h is related to b for different heights of the water?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?