1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates prob.

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    Related rates prob. [solved]

A hemispherical bowl of radius 8 in. is being filled with water at a constant rate. If the water level is rising at the rate of 1/3 in./s at the instant when the water is 6 in. deep, find how fast the water is flowing in by using the fact that if V is the volume of the water at time t, then dV/dt = (pi)(r)^2(dh/dt)

I just need someone to check my work. From my picture, I have:

dV/dt = (pi)(64-(8-h)^2) dh/dt.

just plug in 6 for h and 1/3 for dh/dt and solve right? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The first formula you show looks fine, but can you tell us how you arrived at your second formula, namely dV/dt = pi (64 - (8 - h)^2) dh/dt?
    You mentioned that it comes from your picture, but since I can't see your picture, it's not clear to me how h is related to the radius of the disk you are using for your incremental volume. I'm not saying your formula is wrong, but you haven't provided enough information so that I can tell.

4. Oct 19, 2008 #3
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I suck at drawing on paint but this is kind of how my pic looks. y + h is radius of the bowl which is 8. 8 - h = y and then i just used c^2 - a^2 = b^2. And thanks for your help.

5. Oct 19, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

OK, thanks for including the drawing. Now I know how h and y are related. I don't see anything wrong in your second formula.

6. Oct 19, 2008 #5
    Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?