Solving Related Rates Problem: Cylinder Cone Volume and Surface Area

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an open right cylinder cone with a changing height and diameter. The volume of water at a specific height and the rate of change of volume when the height is 5cm are calculated. The concept of related rates and using similar triangles to find the function relating the radius to the height are discussed. The constant of proportionality for the rate of change of volume of water to the surface area of water is (pi)r^2.
tangents
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble figuring out this problem and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to look over my work so I know that I am doing it correctly =).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an open right cylinder cone that has a heigh of 10cm and diameter of 10cm. the depth h is changing at -3/10cm/hr. V=1/3(pi)r^2(h).

a) find volume of water at h=5

V= 1/3(pi)(5^2)(5)= 125/3(pi)cm^3

b) find dv/dt when h=5cm

dv/dt= 1/3(pi)(5^2)(-3/10)=-5/2cm^3/hr

c) show that rate of change of volume of water is directly proportional to the surface area of water. what is the constant of proportionality

dv/dt=1/3(pi)r^2(dh/dt)
surface area=(pi)r^2
1/3(pi)r^2(dh/dt)=(pi)r^2
constant is (pi)r^2
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My main problem is with parts b and c as I'm not sure if I am getting the concept of related rates correctly =/

Physics news on Phys.org
for one you must understand that diamater of the cone is changing with the height.

yes I figured that since the height decreases, so does the radius except the problem didn't give me dr/dt or any real mention so I'm not sure how to apply it to the problem if I need to.

well since the diameter is 10 when the height is 10 you can define one of them in terms of the other one, then you can take the derivitave wrt that variable. do you know how to do this?

Draw a picture. The side of a cone is a straight line so you can use "similar triangles" to find the function relating r to h (or just find the equation of the line through (0,0) and (10, 5)).

1. What are the basic steps for solving related rates problems involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area?

The basic steps for solving related rates problems involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area are as follows:

• 1. Identify the variables and their rates of change
  • 2. Write down the equations that relate the variables
  • 3. Take the derivative of both sides of the equations with respect to time
  • 4. Substitute in the known values and solve for the unknown rate of change

2. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area?

One example of a related rates problem involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area is as follows:

A cone-shaped paper cup has a height of 10 cm and a base radius of 4 cm. Water is being poured into the cup at a rate of 5 cm3/sec. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 6 cm deep?

3. What is the relationship between the volume and surface area of a cone and a cylinder?

The relationship between the volume and surface area of a cone and a cylinder is that the volume of a cone is exactly one third of the volume of a cylinder with the same height and base radius. However, the surface area of a cone is smaller than the surface area of a cylinder with the same height and base radius.

4. How do you handle related rates problems involving changing shapes, such as a cone that is becoming a cylinder?

When dealing with related rates problems involving changing shapes, it is important to identify the variables and their rates of change at each stage of the transformation. Then, the equations relating the variables can be written and the derivatives can be taken with respect to time to solve for the unknown rate of change.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems involving cylinder and cone volume and surface area are:

• 1. Forgetting to take the derivative with respect to time
  • 2. Mixing up the variables and their rates of change
  • 3. Using the wrong formula for volume or surface area
  • 4. Not substituting in the known values correctly