Solving Related Rates Problem: Find dz/dt Given Coordinates and Derivative

In summary, "Related Rates Problems" are mathematical problems that involve finding the rate of change of one quantity based on the known rate of change of another quantity. These problems often involve real-world scenarios, such as a ladder sliding down a wall or a car's speed, and can be solved by identifying the quantities involved, writing an equation that relates their rates of change, differentiating the equation, and substituting known values to solve for the unknown rate of change. Common mistakes when solving these problems include not clearly defining variables and their rates of change, incorrect differentiation, and using the wrong units. "Related Rates Problems" have various applications in fields like physics, engineering, and economics, allowing us to better understand and analyze changes and relationships between quantities
FallingMan
Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2218/questionscreenshot.jpg

The attempt at a solution

Step 1. Draw a triangle. Solve for third side (Pythagorean theorem), which I called z.

z^2 = x^2 + y^2

Coordinates are given (4, 6). We know x = 4, y = 6.

z^2 = 16 + 36
z^2 = 52
z = Sqrt(52)

Step 2. Take derivative of Pythagorean theorem:

d/dx (z^2 = x^2 + y^2)

2*z*dz/dt = 2*x*dx/dt + 2*y*dy/dt

Step 3. We know that dx/dt = 3 units per second.
We know that dy/dt can be derived from the function provided to us:

y = 2*sqrt(2x+1)
dy/dt = 2/sqrt(2x+1)

We know that x = 4
dy/dt = 2/sqrt(9)
dy/dt = 2/3

Step 4: Plug in all known values into derivative of Pythagorean theorem and solve for dz/dt

2*(Sqrt(52))*dz/dt = (2*4*3) + (2*6*(2/3))

dz/dt = (24 + 8)/(2*(sqrt(52))
dz/dt = 32/(2*sqrt(52))
dz/dt = 2.21880078490092

I tried both 32/(2*sqrt(52)) and 2.21880078490092 as the answer and they still do not work (I tried all sorts of variations of this answer). What mistake am I making?

Damn webwork...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FallingMan said:
Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2218/questionscreenshot.jpg

The attempt at a solution

Step 1. Draw a triangle. Solve for third side (Pythagorean theorem), which I called z.

z^2 = x^2 + y^2

Coordinates are given (4, 6). We know x = 4, y = 6.

z^2 = 16 + 36
z^2 = 52
z = Sqrt(52)

Step 2. Take derivative of Pythagorean theorem:

d/dx (z^2 = x^2 + y^2)

Step 3. We know that dx/dt = 3 units per second.
We know that dy/dt can be derived from the function provided to us:

y = 2*sqrt(2x+1)
dy/dt = 2/sqrt(2x+1)
The line above is incorrect. It seems that you forgot to use the chain rule.
FallingMan said:
We know that x = 4
dy/dt = 2/sqrt(9)
dy/dt = 2/3

Step 4: Plug in all known values into derivative of Pythagorean theorem and solve for dz/dt

2*(Sqrt(52))*dz/dt = (2*4*3) + (2*6*(2/3))

dz/dt = (24 + 8)/(2*(sqrt(52))
dz/dt = 32/(2*sqrt(52))
dz/dt = 2.21880078490092

I tried both 32/(2*sqrt(52)) and 2.21880078490092 as the answer and they still do not work (I tried all sorts of variations of this answer). What mistake am I making?

Damn webwork...

y = 2*sqrt(2x+1)
dy/dt = 2/sqrt(2x+1)

How is this wrong? I did use chain rule. Even wolfram alpha says it's right:

[PLAIN]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8063/wolframss.jpg

My mistake. It seemed to me that you hadn't used the chain rule.

After working the problem through, I'm getting essentially the same answer as you, but in a slightly different form.

I got d' to be 8/sqrt(52), which is equal to your 32/(2sqrt(52). It might be that the application is looking for the answer in a specific form, and isn't smart enough to recognize different forms that have the same value.

Simplifying my answer, I get 4/sqrt(13), which is the same as 4sqrt(13)/13. Maybe one of these will work.

1. What is a "Related Rates Problem"?

A "Related Rates Problem" is a type of mathematical problem in which the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. The goal is to find the rate of change of one quantity when the rate of change of another quantity is known.

2. Can you give an example of a "Related Rates Problem"?

One example of a "Related Rates Problem" is when a ladder is leaning against a wall and is sliding down. The rate at which the ladder is sliding down is related to the rate at which the bottom of the ladder is moving away from the wall.

3. What are the key steps to solving a "Related Rates Problem"?

The key steps to solving a "Related Rates Problem" are: 1) Identify the quantities involved and their rates of change, 2) Write an equation that relates the rates of change, 3) Differentiate the equation with respect to time, 4) Substitute known values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving "Related Rates Problems"?

Some common mistakes made when solving "Related Rates Problems" are: 1) Not clearly defining the variables and their rates of change, 2) Not differentiating the equation correctly, 3) Forgetting to substitute known values before solving, 4) Using the incorrect units for the rates of change.

5. How can "Related Rates Problems" be applied in the real world?

"Related Rates Problems" have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, related rates can be used to find the speed of a car, the rate at which a chemical reaction is occurring, or the rate at which a population is growing. These types of problems help us understand and analyze the changes and relationships between different quantities in real-world situations.