Find a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt

• Thread starter physicsernaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: This is due to the particle moving counter clockwise. In part b, the implicit differentiation yields that dy/dt is negative in quadrants 3 and 4 as the y coordinate is increasing at a rate of 6 m/s. This is due to the x-coordinate being decreasing at the rate of -6 m/s. Lastly, in part c, the dx/dt is negative as the x-coordinate is decreasing at the rate of -32 m/s.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

A particle moves counterclockwise around the ellipse with equation 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 25.

a). In which of the four quadrants in dx/dt > 0? Explain.
b). Find a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt.
c). At what rate is the x-coordinate changing when the particle passes the point (-1,1) if its y-coordinate is increasing at a rate of 6 m/s?
d). Find dy/dt when the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

a). I don't see how I could solve this with differentiation so I drew a picture of the ellipse. If the particle is traveling counter-clockwise, x will be increasing over time in quadrants 3 and 4.

b). Implicitly differentiating for x and y both as functions of t I get
dx/dt = (-32y*dy/dt)/18x

c). Plugging in the values for the above formula...
dx/dt = -32*6/18 = -32/3

d). If the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse, then x is zero, and thus dy/dt is zero because

dy/dt = (-18x*dx/dt)/32y = 0 @ x = 0Just checking if I did this correctly particularly a) as I don't see how I can "explicitly" show that dx/dt > 0 in quadrants 3 and 4 outside of explaining why in English.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsernaw said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves counterclockwise around the ellipse with equation 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 25.

a). In which of the four quadrants in dx/dt > 0? Explain.
b). Find a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt.
c). At what rate is the x-coordinate changing when the particle passes the point (-1,1) if its y-coordinate is increasing at a rate of 6 m/s?
d). Find dy/dt when the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

a). I don't see how I could solve this with differentiation so I drew a picture of the ellipse. If the particle is traveling counter-clockwise, x will be increasing over time in quadrants 3 and 4.

b). Implicitly differentiating for x and y both as functions of t I get
dx/dt = (-32y*dy/dt)/18x

c). Plugging in the values for the above formula...
dx/dt = -32*6/18 = -32/3

d). If the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse, then x is zero, and thus dy/dt is zero because

dy/dt = (-18x*dx/dt)/32y = 0 @ x = 0Just checking if I did this correctly particularly a) as I don't see how I can "explicitly" show that dx/dt > 0 in quadrants 3 and 4 outside of explaining why in English.

Since the ellipse was not given parametrically (i.e., as x = f(t) and y = g(t) for some functions f and g), I believe that you did what you were supposed to do for part a. IOW, look at the graph and determine visually that dx/dt > 0 where x is increasing.

The only thing you should add are some units in part c. They're telling you the units at which y is changing, so you should report the same units when you say how x is changing. Also, it's probably a good idea to simplify the fraction.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Since the ellipse was not given parametrically (i.e., as x = f(t) and y = g(t) for some functions f and g), I believe that you did what you were supposed to do for part a. IOW, look at the graph and determine visually that dx/dt > 0 where x is increasing.

The only thing you should add are some units in part c. They're telling you the units at which y is changing, so you should report the same units when you say how x is changing. Also, it's probably a good idea to simplify the fraction.

Will do, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you can say for part a, is by direct observation, x is increasing in the 3rd and 4th quadrants.

1. What do dx/dt and dy/dt represent?

dx/dt and dy/dt represent the rates of change of the variables x and y, respectively. They are also known as the derivatives of x and y with respect to time (t).

2. How do you find the relation between dx/dt and dy/dt?

The relation between dx/dt and dy/dt can be found by taking the derivative of the equation that relates x and y, usually given as y = f(x), with respect to time (t).

3. What is the significance of finding a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt?

Finding a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt allows us to understand how the two variables x and y are changing with respect to time. This can help us predict future values of x and y, and also understand the relationship between the two variables.

4. Can the relation between dx/dt and dy/dt change over time?

Yes, the relation between dx/dt and dy/dt can change over time. This can happen if the function f(x) that relates x and y changes or if the initial conditions of the variables x and y change.

5. How is the relation between dx/dt and dy/dt used in real-world applications?

The relation between dx/dt and dy/dt is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us understand the rate of change of various quantities and how they are related, which is important in making predictions and solving problems.