Related Rates Clay Pot Problem

In summary, the potter forms a cylinder with a constant volume, but the radius changes as the length changes. The equation for the volume is V=πr(t)^2*L(t). The radius changes as the length changes and the volume changes as the radius changes. The volume is constant as the potter rolls and the equation for the volume is V=πr(t)^2*L(t). Differentiate both sides and find the rate at which the radius is changing when the radius is 1 cm and the length is 5 cm. Well done.
Burjam

Homework Statement

A potter forms a piece of clay into a cylinder. As he rolls it, the length, L, of the cylinder increases and the radius, r decreases. If the length of the cylinder is increasing at 0.1 cm per second, find the rate at which the radius is changing when the radius is 1 cm and the length is 5 cm.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that dL/ds=0.1. But I don't know exactly how the radius changes as L changes. I'm having trouble setting up a function for this. If I had that I could do the rest of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:

Homework Statement

A potter forms a piece of clay into a cylinder. As he rolls it, the length, L, of the cylinder increases and the radius, r decreases. If the length of the cylinder is increasing at 0.1 cm per second, find the rate at which the radius is changing when the radius is 1 cm and the length is 5 cm.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that dL/ds=0.1. But I don't know exactly how the radius changes as L changes. I'm having trouble setting up a function for this. If I had that I could do the rest of the problem.

The volume is constant as the potter rolls. What's an equation for the volume of a cylinder in terms of the radius and length?

Dick said:
The volume is constant as the potter rolls. What's an equation for the volume of a cylinder in terms of the radius and length?

V=Lπr2

But how can I connect this with time?

Burjam said:
V=Lπr2

But how can I connect this with time?

Differentiate both sides d/dt.

How can I differentiate this function with respect to time?

Burjam said:
How can I differentiate this function with respect to time?

V is a constant. r and L are both functions of time. Write V=πr(t)^2*L(t). Now differentiate it.

Dick said:
V is a constant. r and L are both functions of time. Write V=πr(t)^2*L(t). Now differentiate it.

Thank you I think I figured it out:

dV/dt=2L(t)πr(t)r'(t)+L'(t)πr(t)2
0=2L(t)πr(t)r'(t)+L'(t)πr(t)2
0=2L(t)r'(t)+L'(t)r(t)
2L(t)r'(t)=-L'(t)r(t)
r'(t)=-L'(t)r(t)/2L(t)r'(t)
r'(t)=-0.1(1)/2(5)
r'(t)=-0.1/10=-0.01cm/s

Burjam said:
Thank you I think I figured it out:

dV/dt=2L(t)πr(t)r'(t)+L'(t)πr(t)2
0=2L(t)πr(t)r'(t)+L'(t)πr(t)2
0=2L(t)r'(t)+L'(t)r(t)
2L(t)r'(t)=-L'(t)r(t)
r'(t)=-L'(t)r(t)/2L(t)r'(t)
r'(t)=-0.1(1)/2(5)
r'(t)=-0.1/10=-0.01cm/s

Right. Well done.

1. What is the "Related Rates Clay Pot Problem"?

The Related Rates Clay Pot Problem is a classic calculus problem that involves the rate of change of two related variables. In this problem, a clay pot is being filled with water at a constant rate, and the height of the water level is changing. The question is usually to find the rate at which the water level is rising, or the rate at which the water is being poured into the pot.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Related Rates Clay Pot Problem are rates of change, related variables, and the chain rule in calculus. The problem requires you to understand how the variables in the problem are related and how their rates of change affect each other.

3. How do you set up and solve this problem?

To set up and solve the Related Rates Clay Pot Problem, you need to first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can use the chain rule to find the relationship between the variables and their rates of change. Finally, you can plug in the known values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. Are there any variations of this problem?

Yes, there are many variations of the Related Rates Clay Pot Problem. Some variations involve different shapes of containers, different rates of change, or multiple variables changing at the same time. However, the basic concept and approach to solving the problem remains the same.

5. What are some real-life applications of this problem?

The Related Rates Clay Pot Problem has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of water levels in a dam, the rate of change of air pressure in a tire, or the rate of change of stock prices in the stock market.