What is the rate of change for a spherical raindrop's radius as it evaporates?

In summary, the problem states that the volume of a spherical raindrop changes at a rate proportional to its surface area, with a constant of proportionality of 3. The question asks to find the rate of change of the radius when it is equal to 2. However, there is a disagreement about the given information and the problem may not make sense. It may be more logical to use a constant of proportionality of -3 instead of 3. The rate of change of the radius with respect to time is also mentioned as dr/dt. After further calculations, it is determined that the rate of change of the radius is a constant -3, which may be correct.
jordanfc
This is the problem as it appears in the text. "As a spherical raindrop evaporates, its volume changes at a rate proportional to its surface area A. If the constant of proportionality is 3, find the rate of change of the radius r when r=2." My first question is does the constant of proportionality refer to [tex]\frac{dV}{dA}[/tex]? Secondly, am I being asked to find the rate of change of the radius with respect to time [tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex] or another rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I don't think the problem makes sense. But I will try to answer your questions.

No, if you are told that A is proportional to B, it means there is a constant k such that A = kB. Here, it means that dV/dt = kA, for a certain constant k. Next, you are told that k = 3. But this is nonsense in my opinion because the raindrop is evaporating... and a positive dV/dt means V is augmenting. So I'd try doing the problem with k = -3 instead; it'd make more sense.

Yes, the rate of change of radius wrt time is dr/dt.

thanks quasar, with that information ill try the problem.
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

Since [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=-3A[/tex]

Then [tex]-3(4{\pi}r^2)=\frac{dV}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

But now it seems if i differentiate the volume with respect to the radius ill get the equation for surface area and it will cancel out and leave
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}=-3[/tex]
And that can't be right, where have i erred?

Why can't it be right? I'd say it can't be wrong. :smile:

well then, thanks again quasar. so was it irrelevant to ask to find the rate of change when the radius was 2, meaning its a constant rate of change when the volume and surface area decrease proportionally?

What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the rate of change of one variable is related to the rate of change of another variable. These types of problems are commonly encountered in calculus and physics.

How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you must first identify the variables involved and the equations that relate them. Then, you can use the chain rule to differentiate these equations with respect to time and solve for the desired rate of change.

What are some real-life examples of related rates problems?

Some examples of related rates problems in real life include calculating the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated, determining the speed of a car based on its distance from a fixed point, and finding the rate at which the length of a shadow is changing as the angle of the sun changes.

What are some common challenges when solving related rates problems?

One of the biggest challenges when solving related rates problems is identifying the correct equations and variables to use. It can also be difficult to properly apply the chain rule and differentiate the equations, especially if they involve multiple variables.

How can related rates problems be useful in scientific research?

Related rates problems can be useful in scientific research as they allow scientists to analyze the relationship between different variables and their rates of change. This can help in understanding complex systems and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena.