Related Rates Question: Point Movement on x-axis and Graph Curve

In summary, the point moving along the x-axis has a speed proportional to its distance from the origin, but the point moving along the curve has a speed proportional to its x-value.
danago
Gold Member
Consider the graph of y=x2. A point is moving along the x-axis in such a way, that its speed is proportional to its distance from the origin. At the same time, a point is moving along the curve of the graph, which always has the same x-value as the point moving along the x-axis. At what rate is the point on the graph moving away from the origin?

At any time, the horizontal distance of the point is 'x' units, and the vertical distance is 'x2' units. By using pythagoras' theorem, i can show that the distance from the origin is thus given by:

[tex]
D = \sqrt {x^2 + x^4 }
[/tex]

Now, since the point moving along the x-axis has a speed proportional to its horizontal distance, i can say that:

[tex]
\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} \propto x\therefore\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = kx
[/tex]

Where 'k' is some constant.

Since both 'D' and 'x' are functions of time, i differentiate implicitly with respect to time, to get:

[tex]
\frac{{dD}}{{dt}} = \frac{{kx^2 + 2kx^4 }}{{\sqrt {x^2 + x^4 } }}
[/tex]

Therefore, for any given distance of the first point from the origin, the second point, moving along the curve, has a speed of [itex]
\frac{{kx^2 + 2kx^4 }}{{\sqrt {x^2 + x^4 } }}
[/itex] relative to the origin.

I wasnt 100% sure if i did it correctly. If anybody would be able to double check my working, that would be great.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so dx/dt=kx. Then dx/x=k*dt. Solve that ode and then rethink the problem. You are currently a ways off from a correct solution.

Alright. Solving that i get:

[tex]
x = e^{kt + c} = x_0 e^{kt}
[/tex]

Where x0=ec which is equal to the initial horizontal displacement?

Do i then just substitute that value of x into the equation i came up with in my first post?

Calc 1 or 2? I did related rates in Calc 1 but I didn't do a problem anything close to that ...

Well its highscool calc. I am from West Australia, and all we can study is "calculus". Theres no calc 1 or calc 2.

I am confused by Dick's response. You are given dx/dt and asked to find dD/dt. You can do that using the chain rule. I see no reason to solve for x as a function of t and then D as a function of t.
What you did looks perfectly good to me.

Even simpler, though, would be to use D2= x2+ x4 so that 2D dD/dt= (2x +4x3)(kx) Then
[tex]\frac{dD}{dt}= \frac{kx^2+ 2kx^4}{D}[/tex]
which is exactly what you have.

Perhaps Dick is thinking you must find the rate of change of D in terms of t only. In that case, you can take the x(t)= x0ekt and substitute that into the answer you originally got. That would be exactly the same as substituting it into the distance function and differentiating that.

Halls is quite correct, finding an explicit function of t is completely unnecessary. Sorry not to recognize an already correct solution.

Ahhh i was wondering where you were going with that. No harm done though, all with good intentions :smile: Thanks for the help guys!

1. How do you find the related rates for a point moving on the x-axis?

The related rates for a point moving on the x-axis can be found by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

2. What is the significance of the graph curve in a related rates problem?

The graph curve represents the relationship between the changing quantities in the problem. It helps to visualize the problem and understand the rate of change of the variables.

3. What is the formula for calculating related rates in calculus?

The formula for calculating related rates is dR/dt = dR/dx * dx/dt, where R is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and t is time.

4. How do you determine which variable to differentiate with respect to in a related rates problem?

The variable that is changing at a constant rate is usually the independent variable, and the variable that is dependent on it is the one that should be differentiated with respect to time.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life problem that involves related rates with a point moving on the x-axis?

One example could be a car traveling on a straight road at a constant speed. The position of the car can be represented by a point on the x-axis. The related rates problem could involve finding the rate of change of the car's position with respect to time, given the speed of the car.