1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates Question

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    Here is the solution to one of my problems:

[​IMG]

When inserting dV/dt to differentiate the equation as a function of time, why doesn't the book use the power rule on r^2 and multiply the entire equation by 2? I thought when dr/dt was put into the equation you had to differentiate?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    i don't see why there is a need to multiply by 2? if anything, dividing by 4 would clean things up.

and there is no need to apply the power rule on r^2 b/c it was already differentiated.

sorry i can't give you a more detailed answer.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Why would they multiply by 2?

they differentiated it correctly.Unless you are differentiating the wrong statement.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3)= (3(\frac{4}{3})\pi r^2))\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

which is [tex]=4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    ahh yeah I was looking at the formula as being 4pi*r^2 instead of cubed, even though it was right in front of me in it's correct form!

Another question given this same example, why do you only differentiate r^2 -- why not 4 and pi as well?

6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    r^3***

and we don't differentiate 4pi bc it's a constant

you could do the product rule on them but you would yield the same results

y=2x
    y'=2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?