• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Related Rates Questions

• Thread starter cvc121
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with related rates and would like some confirmation if I am on the right track and approaching the questions correctly. I have attached a few related rates problems that I have worked through below.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions along with my attempt at the solution has been attached below (the answers for #4 are meant to be negative since water is leaking out). Am I on the right track with these problems? Which questions am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In problem 6c,what are the units for the rate at which surface area is changing w.r.t. time?

m2/s. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Are all the other questions looking pretty good? Are my methods for solving correct?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
m2/s. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Are all the other questions looking pretty good? Are my methods for solving correct?
I haven't checked everything in detail, but you seem to be taking the right approach.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with related rates and would like some confirmation if I am on the right track and approaching the questions correctly. I have attached a few related rates problems that I have worked through below.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions along with my attempt at the solution has been attached below (the answers for #4 are meant to be negative since water is leaking out). Am I on the right track with these problems? Which questions am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!
For your future reference: many PF helpers will not look at problems that are given as screenshots or photos, and fewer still will look at solutions presented that way. Typed problem statements and solutions are preferred here, and for various good reasons. See the thread entitled "guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.

To be honest, though: your posted images and written works are clearer and more legible than most.

Last edited:
For your future reference: many PF helpers will not look at problems that are given as screenshots or photos, and fewer still will look at solutions presented that way. Typed problem statements and solutions are preferred here, and for various good reasons. See the thread entitled "guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.
@cvc121, I concur with Ray's sentiments. One problem with solutions posted as images is that if there is an error in the work, we can't just insert some text at the location of the error -- we have to describe the location in words, and then say what is incorrect. Another problem is that too often the images show up sideways or upside-down. Images are fine for drawings and the like, but we definitely prefer that the work be included inline

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Not to mention that four different problems in one post is contrary to forum standards, even worse with them as images.