1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates Questions

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having some trouble with related rates and would like some confirmation if I am on the right track and approaching the questions correctly. I have attached a few related rates problems that I have worked through below.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    The questions along with my attempt at the solution has been attached below (the answers for #4 are meant to be negative since water is leaking out). Am I on the right track with these problems? Which questions am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In problem 6c,what are the units for the rate at which surface area is changing w.r.t. time?

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    m2/s. Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Are all the other questions looking pretty good? Are my methods for solving correct?

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't checked everything in detail, but you seem to be taking the right approach.

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For your future reference: many PF helpers will not look at problems that are given as screenshots or photos, and fewer still will look at solutions presented that way. Typed problem statements and solutions are preferred here, and for various good reasons. See the thread entitled "guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.

To be honest, though: your posted images and written works are clearer and more legible than most.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. Apr 30, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@cvc121, I concur with Ray's sentiments. One problem with solutions posted as images is that if there is an error in the work, we can't just insert some text at the location of the error -- we have to describe the location in words, and then say what is incorrect. Another problem is that too often the images show up sideways or upside-down. Images are fine for drawings and the like, but we definitely prefer that the work be included inline

8. Apr 30, 2016 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not to mention that four different problems in one post is contrary to forum standards, even worse with them as images.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted