1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates Solutions

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    Hello all

Just had questions on related rates:

1. The radius of a circle is growing by [tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = 7 [/tex]. How fast is the circumference growing? Ok so [tex] C = 2\pi r [/tex] and [tex] \frac{dC}{dr} = 2\pi \frac{dr}{dt} = 2\pi(7) = 14\pi [/tex]

2. #1 has some amazing implications. Suppose you want to put a rope around the earth that any 7-footer can walk under. If the distance is 24,000 miles, what is the additional length of rope? Do I just put [tex] C = 24,000 [/tex]? I am not sure if I understand what it is asking.

3. The sides of a rectangle increase in such a way that [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] where z is the diagonal. At the instant when [tex] x = 4 y = 3 [/tex] what is the value of [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]? So [tex] x^2 + y^2 = z^2 [/tex]. [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2 [/tex] So then do I just substitute in the given values do get [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]? How would I use the fact that [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]?

4. Air is being pumped into a spherical balloon at the rate of [tex] 5.5 [/tex] cubic inches per minute. Find the rate of change of the radius when the radius is 4 inches. Ok so I know that [tex] V = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 [/tex]. So [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 5.5 [/tex] So [tex] 5.5 = 4\pi (4)^{2} \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex]. I get [tex] \frac{5.5}{64\pi} [/tex] Is this correct?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

First question is right. I don't understand the second question. Have you copied it word for word?

For the third question the equation should be
    [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2z\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex]

Your question is confusing... Is:
    [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

In one part you've written dx/dt=3dy/dt... another part you've written dz/dt=3dy/dt.
  4. Jan 31, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last question is solved correctly,though you should have added the unit...

As for the second,the way i see it...You don't need too much data...

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4
    I copied it word for word. I am sorry. For #3 it should be: [tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]
  6. Jan 31, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

That's ok.

For the second question, I guess that it's asking for the length of rope a 7ft can walk under around earth - circumference of earth.

For the third question... I believe there's insufficient data to get an exact value for dx/dt. Double check the question, to see if there's more data.
  7. Jan 31, 2005 #6
    for #3 we have The sides of a rectangle increase such that [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = 1 [/tex] and [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]. Find [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex] when [tex] x = 4, \ y = 3 [/tex]

I get: [tex] 2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 2z\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex]. Substituting [tex] x,y,z [/tex] we get [tex] 8\frac{dx}{dt} + 6\frac{dy}{dt} = 10 [/tex] Substituting in [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 3\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] I got [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 1 [/tex] Is this correct?

8. Jan 31, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Looks good. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?