1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates - Sort of confused

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Related Rates - Sort of confused

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two buildings. One 20' high and other 40' high with a 60' distance between them. A person walking between them creates a theta with the buildings (see pic)

PICTURE: http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003959771064888674

Now i am asked to find maximum theta possible if the person is walking 4ft/s to the left.

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am kind of lost in coming up with the relation between theta and the two buildings. I know once i get the relation in terms of theta, i can take the derivative and find when the derivative = 0 and see if thats a max.

But any help with finding this equation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure that you have stated the problem correctly? The "maximum theta" will occur at a specific position no matter how fast the person is moving.

Let x be the distance the person is from the building on the right, in feet. Then the distance from the building on the left is 60- x.
    Let [itex]\phi[/itex] be the angle the line from the top of the building on the left to the person makes with the ground. Then [itex]tan(\phi)= 20/(60-x)[/itex] so [itex]\phi= arctan(20/(60-x))[/itex].
    Let [itex]\psi[/itex] be the angle the line from the top of the building on the right to the person makes with the ground. Then [itex]tan(\psi)= 40/x[/itex] so [itex]\psi= arctan(40/x).

Of course, [itex]\theta[/itex] is just [itex]\pi- \phi- \psi= \pi- arctan(20/(60-x))- arctan(40/x)[/itex]. To find the x that gives the maximum value for [itex]\theta[/itex], differentiate that and set equal to 0.

Again, I don't see that how fast the person is walking has anything to do with that.

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    o ok thx!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?