Calculating Change in Volume of a Shrinking Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the change in volume of a sphere using the equation V(sphere) = 4/3(pi)(r^3), given a change in radius and a known volume. The solution involves taking the derivative and plugging in the values. The conclusion is that the answers claiming an increase in volume can be eliminated, as it would not make geometric sense for the volume to increase while the radius is shrinking.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbxIzu0P7sTqP0.png

Homework Equations

V(sphere) = 4/3(pi)(r^3)

V = 36pi in^3

dr = -0.2 in

dV = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically solved for the radius, and took the derivative and plugged in the value of the radius and the change in the radius to get the change in the volume.

http://i.minus.com/jbsA5BJkMOPHgl.jpg

Also upon further consideration it appears that one can easily eliminate the answers that claim the volume increases since that wouldn't make any geometric sense; if the radius was shrinking one would naturally expect the volume of a sphere to follow suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no question here.

Qube said:

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbxIzu0P7sTqP0.png

Homework Equations

V(sphere) = 4/3(pi)(r^3)

V = 36pi in^3

dr = -0.2 in

dV = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically solved for the radius, and took the derivative and plugged in the value of the radius and the change in the radius to get the change in the volume.

http://i.minus.com/jbsA5BJkMOPHgl.jpg

Also upon further consideration it appears that one can easily eliminate the answers that claim the volume increases since that wouldn't make any geometric sense; if the radius was shrinking one would naturally expect the volume of a sphere to follow suit.

Looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a related rate problem?

A related rate problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another related quantity. It often involves using derivatives to solve for the rate of change.

What is a sphere?

A sphere is a three-dimensional shape that is perfectly round, with all points on the surface being equidistant from the center point. It can be thought of as a three-dimensional version of a circle.

How do you find the related rate of a sphere's volume?

To find the related rate of a sphere's volume, you would first use the formula V = (4/3)πr^3 to represent the volume of a sphere. Then, you would take the derivative of both sides with respect to time, and use the given information to solve for the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt) at a specific time.

What is the related rate of a sphere's surface area?

The related rate of a sphere's surface area is found by taking the derivative of the surface area formula, A = 4πr^2, with respect to time. This will give you the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt) at a specific time, which can then be used to find the rate of change of the surface area.

What are some real-life applications of related rates with spheres?

Related rate problems involving spheres can be used to solve various real-life situations, such as calculating the rate at which a balloon is being inflated, or the rate at which a water tank is being filled. They can also be used in fields such as physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.