How long to fill Bob's truck with tar paper?

In summary, Bob's truck can hold a total of 72 lbs of tar paper, which will take 1.1111 seconds to load.
dctp05
Related Rates Verification, Help Please!

Homework Statement

The capacity of Bob's truck is 72 lbs. He needs to carry as much tar paper as possible and 1 square yard weighs 5 lbs. If the paper comes off the roll at 2 square feet per second, how long will it take to fill his truck?

Homework Equations

72 lbs= 5 lbs * x yd2, so Bob's truck can fit 14.4 yd2 of tar paper.
I assume that I'm trying to find how many seconds it takes for 14.4 yd2 of tar paper to get in the truck.

I'll replace 72 with y,
so, the equation would be y=5x.

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](y=5x) is [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=5[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

Anyway I know that [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]=2ft2/sec, which is .2222yd2/sec when converted.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just substitute .2222yd2/sec into the derived equation to get 1.1111 lbs/sec. This means that the tar paper goes into the truck at 1.1111 lbs/sec. However, I don't know how to work this into the original equation, do I just divide 72 by 1.1111? I think I'm just being a bit stupid with this. Somebody please help this shouldn't take to long.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hey dctp,

Your equation, [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 5 \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], tells you the rate of weight being added to the truck, denoted by [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex], as a function of the speed at which the tar paper is being added, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex].

Since you want to know how much weight is in the truck as a function of time, you would integrate your equation to obtain:
[tex]y(t) = (5\textrm{lbs/yd}^2)\cdot (0.2222\textrm{yd}^2\textrm{/s})\cdot\Delta t[/tex]
Can you figure it out from here?

Coto said:
Hey dctp,

Your equation, [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 5 \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], tells you the rate of weight being added to the truck, denoted by [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex], as a function of the speed at which the tar paper is being added, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex].

Since you want to know how much weight is in the truck as a function of time, you would integrate your equation to obtain:
[tex]y(t) = (5\textrm{lbs/yd}^2)\cdot (0.2222\textrm{yd}^2\textrm{/s})\cdot\Delta t[/tex]
Can you figure it out from here?

Sorry, the problem is, I haven't learned integration yet, so I can't use it. But I think I might have it using another method.

If [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]=.2222yd2/sec, I could substitute into the derivative, [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=5[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=1.1111 lbs/sec. So its saying that tar paper is being loaded onto the truck at 1.1111 pounds per second. Since I want to know when lbs equals 72, I could just divide 72 by 1.1111, which would give me 64.8 sec to load the truck to its maximum.

Do you get the same answer through integration? Please verify, if that is allowed.

No matter how you end up doing the question, you do end up integrating :), it's just that the integration in this question is so trivial that it can be "swept under the rug" without anyone noticing they're doing it.

In this case, you've done it by considering the physical implications of your equation. The solution you obtained is correct.

But to show you the similarity between the two equations:
Mine:
[tex]y(t) = (5\textrm{lbs/yd}^2)\cdot (0.2222\textrm{yd}^2\textrm{/s})\cdot\Delta t[/tex][tex]= 1.1111\textrm{lbs/s} \cdot \Delta t[/tex]
Yours:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=1.1111\textrm{lbs/s}[/tex]
To get from yours to mine, recall that dy is a small changes in y, and dt is a small change in t, and therefore,
[tex]\Delta y = 1.1111\textrm{lbs/s} \cdot \Delta t[/tex].

Okay I see the connection. I'm a bit fuzzy concerning the details, but I'll learn it within a few weeks at school, so it's all right. I'll revisit it then.

1. What is the concept of related rates verification?

Related rates verification is a mathematical method used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving changing quantities.

2. How is related rates verification different from ordinary derivatives?

Related rates verification involves finding the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable, while ordinary derivatives only involve finding the rate of change of a single variable with respect to another variable. Related rates verification is used to solve more complex problems involving changing quantities.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the area of a circle is changing, the rate at which water is draining from a conical tank, or the rate at which the shadow of a building is changing.

4. What are the steps to solving a related rates problem?

The steps to solving a related rates problem are: 1) Identify the variables involved and their rates of change, 2) Create an equation that relates the variables, 3) Use implicit differentiation to find the derivative of the equation with respect to time, 4) Substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

5. Why is related rates verification important in scientific research?

Related rates verification is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to analyze and predict how different variables are changing in relation to each other. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding changing quantities is crucial for designing and predicting the behavior of systems.