Related Rates of Volume Change for Expanding Cube Edges

In summary: No, you are misinterpreting the problem. The cube isn't moving through space. It is expanding. This is a typical problem in calculus textbooks in the section on Related Rates.
Michele Nunes

Homework Statement

All edges of a cube are expanding at a rate of 3 centimeters per second. How fast is the volume changing when each edge is (a) 1 centimeter and (b) 10 centimeters?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation for the volume of a cube: V = s3 but I'm not sure if side and edge can be considered the same thing. Anyways, I implicitly differentiated it with respect to time t and got: dV/dt = 3s2(ds/dt) and since they give ds/dt = 3 cm/sec and values for s I just plugged all that in and for (a) I got 9 cm3/sec and for (b) I got 900 cm3/sec but I'm not sure if I did it correctly though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michele Nunes said:

Homework Statement

All edges of a cube are expanding at a rate of 3 centimeters per second. How fast is the volume changing when each edge is (a) 1 centimeter and (b) 10 centimeters?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation for the volume of a cube: V = s3 but I'm not sure if side and edge can be considered the same thing. Anyways, I implicitly differentiated it with respect to time t and got: dV/dt = 3s2(ds/dt) and since they give ds/dt = 3 cm/sec and values for s I just plugged all that in and for (a) I got 9 cm3/sec and for (b) I got 900 cm3/sec but I'm not sure if I did it correctly though.
Both answers are correct.

To answer your other question, a side and an edge are the same thing here.

Likes Michele Nunes
Mark44 said:
Both answers are correct.

To answer your other question, a side and an edge are the same thing here.
Thank you for double checking my work

Michele Nunes said:
Thank you for double checking my work
You're welcome!

As you mentioned is ##s = s(t) = 3t + s_0## where ##s_0## is the starting length of the cube. Isn't the volume's vvelocity then accelerating quadratic in time?
And if so when will be measured? At ##3t + s_0 = 1## and ##3t + s_0 = 100## or is ##s_0 = 0##, ##s_0 = 100## resp.?

fresh_42 said:
As you mentioned is ##s = s(t) = 3t + s_0## where ##s_0## is the starting length of the cube. Isn't the volume's vvelocity then accelerating quadratic in time?
No, you are misinterpreting the problem. The cube isn't moving through space. It is expanding. This is a typical problem in calculus textbooks in the section on Related Rates.
fresh_42 said:
And if so when will be measured? At ##3t + s_0 = 1## and ##3t + s_0 = 100## or is ##s_0 = 0##, ##s_0 = 100## resp.?

@Mark44 I got that. ##s(t)## has been noted the length of the cube's edges in the OP.

My misunderstanding was that I first thought the given lengths were those of the original cube when expansion started.
In that case it would have been just a formula of time and time of measurement needed to be specified.

But meanwhile I understood it: ##s(t) = 3t + s_0 = 1## or ##100## defines the measurement via the actual edges then.
I have to admit that I sometimes tend to make things more complicated than they are.
Thank you for replying.

What is the concept of related rates in terms of volume change?

Related rates in terms of volume change refers to the mathematical concept where the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. In other words, it is the study of how the rate at which a volume changes is affected by the changing rate of another related quantity.

What are some common examples of related rates involving volume change?

Some common examples of related rates involving volume change include the filling or draining of a tank, the melting of a snowball, and the inflating or deflating of a balloon. In each of these situations, the rate at which the volume changes is dependent on the changing rate of another quantity, such as the flow of water, the rate of melting, or the rate of air being pumped into the balloon.

How do you approach a related rates problem involving volume change?

To solve a related rates problem involving volume change, you first need to identify all the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the chain rule and set up an equation that relates the rates of change of the different variables. Finally, you can solve the equation for the unknown rate of change.

What is the importance of understanding related rates in terms of volume change?

Understanding related rates in terms of volume change is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and fluid mechanics. It allows us to analyze real-world situations and predict how changes in one quantity will affect the rate of change of another quantity. This knowledge can be applied to solve practical problems and make informed decisions.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems involving volume change?

Some tips for solving related rates problems involving volume change include drawing a diagram to visualize the situation, labeling all the variables and their rates of change, and setting up an equation that relates the rates of change of the different variables. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the units of measurement and use the appropriate conversion factors when necessary.