1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates volume change

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All edges of a cube are expanding at a rate of 3 centimeters per second. How fast is the volume changing when each edge is (a) 1 centimeter and (b) 10 centimeters?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the equation for the volume of a cube: V = s3 but I'm not sure if side and edge can be considered the same thing. Anyways, I implicitly differentiated it with respect to time t and got: dV/dt = 3s2(ds/dt) and since they give ds/dt = 3 cm/sec and values for s I just plugged all that in and for (a) I got 9 cm3/sec and for (b) I got 900 cm3/sec but I'm not sure if I did it correctly though.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Both answers are correct.

To answer your other question, a side and an edge are the same thing here.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Thank you for double checking my work

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

Mark44

You're welcome!

6. Nov 15, 2015 #5

fresh_42

As you mentioned is ##s = s(t) = 3t + s_0## where ##s_0## is the starting length of the cube. Isn't the volume's vvelocity then accelerating quadratic in time?
    And if so when will be measured? At ##3t + s_0 = 1## and ##3t + s_0 = 100## or is ##s_0 = 0##, ##s_0 = 100## resp.?

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6

Mark44

No, you are misinterpreting the problem. The cube isn't moving through space. It is expanding. This is a typical problem in calculus textbooks in the section on Related Rates.

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7

fresh_42

@Mark44 I got that. ##s(t)## has been noted the length of the cube's edges in the OP.

My misunderstanding was that I first thought the given lengths were those of the original cube when expansion started.
    In that case it would have been just a formula of time and time of measurement needed to be specified.

But meanwhile I understood it: ##s(t) = 3t + s_0 = 1## or ##100## defines the measurement via the actual edges then.
    I have to admit that I sometimes tend to make things more complicated than they are.
    Thank you for replying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted