Searchlight Rotation Rate in Related Rates Word Problem

In summary, the man's rate of change of \theta with respect to time is 115.38 degrees per hour when he is 20 metres from the point on the path closest to the searchlight.
diffusion

Homework Statement

A man walks along a straight path at 5km/hr. A search light is located on the ground
30 metres form the path and is kept focused on the man. At what rate is the searchlight
rotating when the man is 20 metres from the point on the path closest to the searchlight?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = 5km/h

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Reading the question, it is obvious that the situation above describes a right triangle:

calculus.jpg

I need to find the rate of change of [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to x, or time. The rate of change of x with respect to time is 5km/h. First I believe I need to relate [tex]\theta[/tex] with x (time). This is probably obvious, but I'm not sure how to do it. I think I need to set up theta as a function of x as follows:

[tex]\theta[/tex] = tan[tex]_{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{20}{30}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\theta[/tex] = tan[tex]_{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{30}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you now express [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] ?

CompuChip said:
Can you now express [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] ?

Would I do this by differentiating tan[tex]_{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{30}[/tex]?

Presuming you know what the derivative of arctan u is, yes.

Ok I think I have it:

To find [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex], apply chain rule:[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = 5km/hTherefore,[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] (tan[tex]_{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{30}[/tex])(5)

Just don't know how to differentiate tan[tex]_{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{30}[/tex]

The derivative of arctan(u) is 1/(1 + u^2)

CompuChip said:
The derivative of arctan(u) is 1/(1 + u^2)

So [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{1 + (x/30)^2}[/tex] (5)

= [tex]\frac{5}{1 + (x/30)^2}[/tex]

Assuming this is correct (please do correct me if I'm wrong), all that's left now is to enter 20m into the equation for x?:

[tex]\frac{5}{1 + (20/30)^2}[/tex] = 3.46 degrees per hour?

I feel like I'm off.

You don't have the derivative of arctan(u), but of arctan(x / 30). So you might want to use the chain rule :smile:
But don't worry, that just means you are off by a constant factor.
Also, if you're getting a very small answer, note that you probably get something in radians (2 pi radians corresponding to 360 degrees).

If you've never seen the derivative of arctan and chain rule etc before, please tell us - then there's probably another way to solve the problem. Mathematically inclined as I am, this is the first that came to mind though.

CompuChip said:
You don't have the derivative of arctan(u), but of arctan(x / 30). So you might want to use the chain rule :smile:
But don't worry, that just means you are off by a constant factor.
Also, if you're getting a very small answer, note that you probably get something in radians (2 pi radians corresponding to 360 degrees).

If you've never seen the derivative of arctan and chain rule etc before, please tell us - then there's probably another way to solve the problem. Mathematically inclined as I am, this is the first that came to mind though.

Yeah I'm only just getting into differentiation now so I'm still finding my feet.

So, applying the chain rule I got something like this:

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]arctan(u) (5), where u = (x/30)

= (5) [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]arctan(x/30) [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex](x/30)

= [tex]\frac{150}{1 + (x/30)^2}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{150}{1 + (20/30)^2}[/tex] = 103.85 degrees per hour.

Are you getting something similar?

I didn't do the calculation but it looks precisely like what I had in mind.

eh.. I am not sure if this is right but try

tan(theta)=x/30 ; thus theta = tan^-1(x/30)=tan^-1(20/30)=tan^-1(2/3) aprox = 33.6 degrees

then differentiating from tan(theta)=x/30 ...
sec^2(theta)theta'=(1/30)x' = sec^2(33.6)theta'=(1/30)5
theta'=5/(30sec^2(33.6)) aprox = .115 deg/hour seems small...but all the steps seem correct

CompuChip said:
I didn't do the calculation but it looks precisely like what I had in mind.

Thanks so much. I'll compare my answer with peers and see if they match.

The first mistake I can see is the differentiation,[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{30} \neq 30[/tex]. Secondly we have to be very careful with the units. The velocity is given in km/h, the distances in meters.

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
The first mistake I can see is the differentiation,[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{30} \neq 30[/tex]. Secondly we have to be very careful with the units. The velocity is given in km/h, the distances in meters.

Yeah I was wondering about the units, should have used 5000m instead.

Try again:

Chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]arctan(u) (5000), where u = [tex]\frac{x}{30}[/tex]

Applying chain rule to arctan(u):

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]arctan(u) = [tex]\frac{1}{1+(u)^2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{30}{900}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{30}{900(1 + (x/30)^2)}[/tex] (5000)

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{150000}{900(1 + (x/30)^2)}[/tex]

Substituting 20m for x yields:

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{150000}{900(1 + (20/30)^2)}[/tex] = 115.38 degrees per hour.

1. What is a related rates word problem?

A related rates word problem is a type of mathematical problem in which two or more variables are related to each other and are changing over time. The goal is to find the rate of change of one variable in terms of the rate of change of another variable.

2. How do I solve a related rates word problem?

To solve a related rates word problem, you should first identify the variables involved and the given information. Then, use the given information to set up an equation that relates the variables and their rates of change. Finally, differentiate the equation with respect to time and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common types of related rates word problems?

Some common types of related rates word problems include problems involving geometric shapes and their changing dimensions, problems involving rates of change of fluids in containers, and problems involving the movement of objects at varying speeds.

4. What is the importance of understanding related rates word problems?

Understanding related rates word problems is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These types of problems also have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates word problems?

Some tips for solving related rates word problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, carefully labeling and defining variables, and using appropriate units for rates of change. It is also helpful to review and practice the differentiation rules and to check your answer for reasonableness.