1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    1. A WWII sub sailing north spots a Japanese carrier directly above it sailing due east at 10 knots. If the submarine at the time of sighting the carrier is 5 miles away, has torpedoes that travel 40 knots/hr, it takes 3 mins to load and fire torpedo.
    • At what angle with respect to original position of sighting must the submarine fire torpedo to strike the carrier. ?
    • What is the travel time and distance traveled of the torpedo?

Also for the same data above show that taking the derivative of a trigonometric function can be used to yield the same results.

I started using Pythagoras, but got stuck,, this seems to be challenging to most of us who battled for hours.. if you can help I would be grateful.. this is a practice question to help me prepare for an exam..
    Thank you

2. pythagorus and differentiation

3. I converted the time east (3mins) to distance, used pythag to get hyp,but that is only the distance before shooting the torpedo. not sure if i set the prob up correctly. but it is a real challenge. thanks if you can help...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?