Related Rates: Calculating Change in Distance Between Clock Hands at 9 o'clock

In summary: In fact,[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\vec d \cdot \vec d = 2\vec d \cdot \dot {\vec d}[/itex]So the time derivative of the magnitude of the displacement vector is half the time derivative of the square of the magnitude of the displacement vector. And the latter is a whole lot easier to evaluate.
rdougie

Homework Statement

"On a certain clock the minute had is 4in long, and the hour hand is 3in long. How fast is the distance between the tips of the hands changing at 9 o'clock?"

Homework Equations

- a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] = c[tex]^{2}[/tex]
- Law of Cosines?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i drew a clock, and the 3-4-5 triangle positioned at 9:00. The distance between the 2 tips is 5in, but how would I find the rate of change between them? If the distance is marked by x, then I'm solving for dx/d[tex]\Theta[/tex], right? For every 6 degrees the minute hand moves, the hour hand moves one. I'm thoroughly confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think of this as two concentric circles with radii R and r (R > r). The inner circle is stationary, but the outer circle is rotating. At t = 0 two points (one on each circle) lie on a straight line through the origin so their distance is d = R - r. At t = [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the outer circle has rotated some, so the distance between the two points has increased. Find (d([itex]\epsilon[/itex]) - d(0))/[itex]\epsilon[/itex] as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] --> 0.

Welcome to PF!

What I would do is the following. There are two lines of different lengths (r and R) rotating about a common origin at different frequencies. If the tips of the lines are points a and b, I'd write equations that represent the x,y locations of a and b (with respect to t) using initial conditions such that the postions of the lines are at 9:00 at t=0. I'd then write an expression for the distance between points a and b, take the derivative and evaluate it at t=0. Chain rule involved.

Last edited:
In general, the angle formed by the hands is not a right angle (it happens to be at 9:00 but not immediately after). Your second thought was correct: you can use the cosine law to write the distance between the tips of the hands as a function of the angle between them.

Why is the chain rule needed here? Defining [itex]\hat x[/itex] as the 12:00 position, [itex]\hat y[/itex] as the 3:00 position, and [itex]\theta_m[/itex] as the angle between the 12:00 position and the minute hand measured clockwise, then the tip minute hand is at

[tex]\vec m = 5\text{in}(\cos \theta_m \hat x + \sin \theta_m \hat y)[/tex]

The minute hand makes one revolution per hour. Thus [itex]\dot \theta_m = 2\pi/\text{hr}[/tex]. Differentiating the expression for [itex]\vec m[/itex],

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\vec m = 10\pi\text{in}/\text{hr}(-\sin \theta_m \hat x + \cos \theta_m \hat y)[/tex]

You can treat the hour hand similarly. Taking the difference between these two velocity vectors yields the tip-to-tip velocity. Apply the specific values for [itex]\theta_m[/itex] and [itex]\theta_h[/itex], take the magnitude, and voila, you have the distance rate of change.The above is not correct. Correction is imminent.

Last edited:
I should know better. The magnitude of a velocity vector does not equal to the time derivative of the magnitude underlying displacement vector.

Suppose [itex]\vec d[/itex] is some displacement vector (e.g., the vector from the end of the hour hand to the end of the minute hand). Denote [itex]d=||\vec d||[/itex] as the magnitude of this displacement vector. For an inner product metric space,

[tex]d^2 \equiv \vec d \cdot \vec d[/itex]

Differentiating with respect to time,

[tex]2d\dot d = 2\vec d \cdot \dot {\vec d}[/itex]

Solving for the time derivative of the magnitude of the displacement vector,

[tex]\dot d = \frac{\vec d \cdot \dot {\vec d}}{d}[/itex]

The magnitude of the velocity vector, [tex]\sqrt{\dot {\vec d} \cdot \dot {\vec d}}[/tex] is obviously not the same as the time derivative of the magnitude of the displacement vector.

Last edited:

1. What are related rates?

Related rates are a mathematical concept used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves using derivatives to analyze how changes in one quantity affect changes in another quantity.

2. How are related rates used in science?

Related rates are used in science to analyze the relationship between two changing quantities. They can be applied to various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to solve problems involving rates of change.

3. What are the steps for solving related rates problems?

The steps for solving related rates problems are:

1. Identify the variables and their rates of change.
  2. Draw a diagram and label the variables.
  3. Write an equation that relates the variables.
  4. Differentiate the equation with respect to time.
  5. Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. Can related rates be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, related rates can be applied to real-world situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being filled with air, or the rate at which the distance between two cars on a highway is changing.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes when solving related rates problems include:

• Forgetting to take the derivative of the given equation.
  • Using incorrect units or not converting units correctly.
  • Not drawing a diagram and labeling the variables.
  • Not identifying which variables are constant and which are changing.
  • Substituting in the wrong values or not using the given information.