Related Rates

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Related Rates

Homework Statement

Two aircraft are in the vicinity of a control center. Both are at the same altitude. Plane 1 is 36 nautical miles from the center and approaching it at a rate of 410 knots. Plane 2 is 41 nautical miles from the center and approaching it at a rate of 455 knots. (One knot is 1 nautical mile per hour)

A) How close will the planes come to each other?
B) How many minutes before the time of closest approach?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to solve this... I keep getting stuck here is what I have done.

[tex] P_1(t)^2 + P_2(t)^2 = D(t)^2[/tex]

take the derivative

[tex] 2P_1(t)P_1'(t) + 2P_2(t)P_2'(t) = 2D(t)D'(t) [/tex]

and then the place where the distance would be a minimum is where D'(t) = 0, but I keep getting stuck here because I don't know either of the two P(t)s. Can someone please help me set this problem correctly? Thanks

Answers and Replies

Sheneron
I still can't figure this out, and I think I am not going about it properly. If someone could help me set it up I would appreciate it. Thanks

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can't do that at all unless you know something about the angle between the two planes approach paths. I'm guessing since you using Pythagoras that they are coming in at right angles? If so then just try to write P1 and P2 as explicit functions of t. They are linear functions (since velocity is constant). Try and start with P1(t). P1(0)=36mi. P1'(t)=410mi/hr, right? What does P1(t) look like?

Sheneron
P1(t) = -410t + 36

Sheneron
Now that I have two explicit functions of t, assuming that I did so correctly, what do I do next?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
P1(t) = -410t + 36

Great! Now do P2(t) and put them into your equation.

Sheneron
ahhh yes i just saw it I think I have it now!

Thanks... I got it

Suggested for: Related Rates

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views