Solve Related Rates: Water Tank Filled/Drained at 5m^3/min and 7m^3/min

In summary, the conversation discusses a water tank in the shape of an inverted circular cone with specific dimensions. The first question asks for the rate of water level increase when the tank is being filled at a rate of 5m^3/min and the water is 5m deep. The second question asks for the rate of water level decrease when the tank is full and being drained at a rate of 7m^3/min and the water is 7m deep. The solution for both problems involves using the volume formula for a cone and substituting the given values to find the corresponding rate.
Draggu

Homework Statement

A water tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with a base diameter of 8m and a height of 12m.
a) If the tank is being filled with water at the rate of 5m^3/min, at what rate is the water level increasing when the water is 5m deep?
b) If the tank is full of water and being drained at the rate of 7m^3/min, at what rate is the water level decreasing when the water is 7m deep?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

V'(t) = 5
r = (1/3)h
V = (1/3)(pi)((1/3h)^2)h
=(1/27)(pi)(h^3)

V' = (1/9)(pi)(h^2)h'
sub in known values~

5 = (1/9)(pi)(144)h'
h' = 5 / (50.24)

=.09

I have a feeling I have to sub in the "water is 5m deep" part somewhere, but I don't know where.

b) Same problem as above, basically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draggu said:

Homework Statement

A water tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with a base diameter of 8m and a height of 12m.
a) If the tank is being filled with water at the rate of 5m^3/min, at what rate is the water level increasing when the water is 5m deep?
b) If the tank is full of water and being drained at the rate of 7m^3/min, at what rate is the water level decreasing when the water is 7m deep?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

V'(t) = 5
r = (1/3)h
V = (1/3)(pi)((1/3h)^2)h
=(1/27)(pi)(h^3)

V' = (1/9)(pi)(h^2)h'
sub in known values~

5 = (1/9)(pi)(144)h'
h' = 5 / (50.24)

=.09

I have a feeling I have to sub in the "water is 5m deep" part somewhere, but I don't know where.

b) Same problem as above, basically.
Well, yes. I notice you have "144" above. That is from 12' height of the entire tank isn't it? But if the water is only 5' deep, it isn't filling the entire tank. Use the 5' depth instead of 12'.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, yes. I notice you have "144" above. That is from 12' height of the entire tank isn't it? But if the water is only 5' deep, it isn't filling the entire tank. Use the 5' depth instead of 12'.

a) 0.57~

b)

V'(t) = -7
r = (1/3)h
V = (1/3)(pi)((1/3h)^2)h
=(1/27)(pi)(h^3)

V' = (1/9)(pi)(h^2)h'
sub in known values~

-7 = (1/9)(pi)(49)h'
h' = -7 / (17)

Draggu said:
a) 0.57~

b)

V'(t) = -7
r = (1/3)h
V = (1/3)(pi)((1/3h)^2)h
=(1/27)(pi)(h^3)

V' = (1/9)(pi)(h^2)h'
sub in known values~

-7 = (1/9)(pi)(49)h'
h' = -7 / (17)

Can someone please confirm this?^^ :(

What is the formula for related rates?

The formula for related rates is:

dA/dt = dV/dt

Where dA/dt is the rate of change of the area and dV/dt is the rate of change of the volume.

How do you set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, follow these steps:

1. Identify the given and unknown quantities.
  2. Draw a diagram to visualize the problem.
  3. Write down the formula for related rates.
  4. Substitute the given values into the formula.
  5. Take the derivative of both sides with respect to time.
  6. Substitute the given rates of change and solve for the unknown rate of change.

What is the difference between a filled and drained water tank in related rates?

A filled water tank means that the volume of water is increasing, or the rate of change of volume is positive. On the other hand, a drained water tank means that the volume of water is decreasing, or the rate of change of volume is negative.

How do you solve for related rates when there are multiple variables involved?

When there are multiple variables involved in a related rates problem, use the chain rule to take the derivative with respect to time. This means taking the derivative of each variable separately and then multiplying them together.

Can related rates be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, related rates can be applied to real-world situations, such as filling or draining a water tank, calculating the rate of change of an object's position, or determining the growth rate of a population. It is a useful tool in many scientific and engineering fields.