Help with 45° Angle Equation Solving

• Thread starter chemic_23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation to plug in a 45 degree angle and solving for x and y values when θ=45. The conversation also addresses the importance of using radians instead of degrees when using certain formulas.
chemic_23

Homework Statement

img001-1.jpg
i can't think of any equation to plug the 45 degrees angle pls help... i tried

Dttanθ=y/x

(secθ)^2)(dθ/dt)=[x(dy/dt)-y(dx/dt)]/x^2

but i don't know the value of x when tanθ=45 degrees... do i need to set my calcu to radians or just in degrees mode then i get tanθ=y/x ---> tan45=y/x

1=y/x
x=y

Physics news on Phys.org
but i don't know the value of x when tanθ=45 degrees
First, it's θ=45 not tanθ=45. Second, if θ=45 what is the relationship between x and y? Using this relationship and x = 10 + 2t, y = 6 + 4t, can you find x and y when θ=45?

i can't think of any equation to plug the 45 degrees angle pls help
How about putting it in for that secθ you have in
(secθ)^2)(dθ/dt)=[x(dy/dt)-y(dx/dt)]/x^2?

awww sorry hehe mistyped. it's tan45 hehe:uhh:
i came up with this solution
x=10+2t
y=6+4t

tan45=(6+4t)/(10+2t) (deg mode)
1=(6+4t)/(10+2t)
10+2t=6+4t
t=2

substituting in (secθ)^2)(dθ/dt)=[x(dy/dt)-y(dx/dt)]/x^2
i got ((cos45)^2)/7 per sec or 1/14 per sec
is this correct? or should i set my calculator in radian mode?

d(sin x)/dx = cos x and d(cos x)/dx= -sin x ONLY if x is in radians. Those formulas are not valid if the angle is not in radians.

1. What is a 45° angle?

A 45° angle is an angle that measures 45 degrees, or one-fourth of a complete turn in a circle.

2. How do I solve for the unknown variable in a 45° angle equation?

To solve for the unknown variable in a 45° angle equation, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent, depending on the given information. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem if the triangle formed by the angle is a right triangle.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to 45° angle equations?

The Pythagorean theorem states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is often used to solve for unknown sides or angles in a right triangle, including those with a 45° angle.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve 45° angle equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve 45° angle equations. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions and the ability to solve for unknown variables in equations.

5. What are the common mistakes when solving 45° angle equations?

Some common mistakes when solving 45° angle equations include forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, using the wrong trigonometric function, and not properly applying the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to double-check your work and use the appropriate formulas to avoid these mistakes.