Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates

1. Aug 16, 2004 #1
    i dont really understand when you differentiate both sides of an equation to, for example, time.

like, if you have tan(x)=y/50,
    you would get sec^2(x)dx/dt=1/50*(dy/dt)
    so does that mean when you differentiate both sides you find the derivative of the whole term and then multiply it by dwhatever/dt?

the book im looking at is just a review for calculus, its only got a short sentence here about this, and its confusing

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, both x and y are functions of time.
    Hence, you use the chain rule when differentiating the equation

4. Aug 16, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, use the chain rule like arildno mentioned. For the problem you gave, you are thinking of x and y as functions of t. You can make this more explicit by replacing "x" with "x(t)" and "y" with "y(t)". The differentiate w.r.t time as normal. When this dependance on t is understood, texts will sometimes supress the (t) part of the notation to make things neater, like the example you gave.

5. Aug 17, 2004 #4
    oh my... lol thankyou :-p im new with calc-learnin it myself this summer-and managed to remember the chain rule wrong. haha thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?