Understand Related Rates: Calculus Review

In summary, Differentiating both sides of an equation involves finding the derivative of the whole term and then multiplying it by the derivative of the variable with respect to time. This is known as using the chain rule. When dealing with functions of time, it is common for the notation to be simplified, but it is important to understand the dependence on time when differentiating.
daveed
i don't really understand when you differentiate both sides of an equation to, for example, time.

like, if you have tan(x)=y/50,
you would get sec^2(x)dx/dt=1/50*(dy/dt)
so does that mean when you differentiate both sides you find the derivative of the whole term and then multiply it by dwhatever/dt?

the book I am looking at is just a review for calculus, its only got a short sentence here about this, and its confusing

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, both x and y are functions of time.
Hence, you use the chain rule when differentiating the equation

Yes, use the chain rule like arildno mentioned. For the problem you gave, you are thinking of x and y as functions of t. You can make this more explicit by replacing "x" with "x(t)" and "y" with "y(t)". The differentiate w.r.t time as normal. When this dependence on t is understood, texts will sometimes supress the (t) part of the notation to make things neater, like the example you gave.

oh my... lol thankyou :-p I am new with calc-learnin it myself this summer-and managed to remember the chain rule wrong. haha thanks guys

1. What is the concept of related rates in calculus?

The concept of related rates in calculus involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It is used to solve problems where the variables are related to each other and are changing over time.

2. How do I identify related rates problems in calculus?

Related rates problems in calculus usually involve two or more variables that are changing with respect to time. They can also be identified by the presence of a rate of change, such as velocity or acceleration, and the use of derivatives to find the relationship between the variables.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve related rates problems?

Some common techniques used to solve related rates problems in calculus include setting up a diagram or model, identifying the given and desired rates, finding an equation that relates the variables, and taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time.

4. How do I know if I have solved a related rates problem correctly?

If you have correctly solved a related rates problem in calculus, the units of the final answer should match the given units of the desired rate. Additionally, the solution should make logical sense and be consistent with the given information in the problem.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of related rates in calculus?

One example of a real-world application of related rates in calculus is determining the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being filled with air. The variables in this problem would be the volume of the balloon and the rate at which air is being pumped in, and the relationship between them can be described by the ideal gas law.