1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates?

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    Hi,

Is this a question on related rates? If so, can anyone help me do this question? I have no clue on even how to start it out.

A clock has an hour hand 4cm long and a minute hand 8cm long. How fast is the distance between the tips of the hands changing at 2:00?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. Describe the position vectors of the tips as follows:
    [tex]\vec{r}_{hour}(t)=4(\cos(\omega_{h}t+\theta_{h,2})\vec{i}+\sin(\omega_{h}t+\theta_{h,2})\vec{j})[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_{min}(t)=8(\cos(\omega_{m}t+\theta_{m,2})\vec{i}+\sin(\omega_{m}t+\theta_{m,2})\vec{j})[/tex]
    Here:
    [tex]\omega_{h},\omega_{m}[/tex] are the respective angular velocities (you should be able to figure them out by yourself).
    [tex]\theta_{h,2},\theta_{m,2}[/tex] are the respective angles made to the positive x-axis (that is, 3 o'clock) at time 2.00

2. The distance vector [tex]\vec{d}(t)[/tex] fullfills:
    [tex]\vec{d}(t)=\vec{r}_{hour}(t)-\vec{r}_{min}(t)[/tex]
    The distance, d(t) fullfills:
    [tex]d(t)=||\vec{d}(t)||[/tex] that is, the LENGTH of the distance vector.
    3. The separation velocity is therefore given as:
    [tex]\frac{dd}{dt}[/tex]

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks for your hlep

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?