Help with Solving 2 Difficult Math Questions

• Thread starter erik05
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two different math problems, one involving a man's shadow and the other involving two ships moving in different directions. The solution to the first question is found using the properties of similar triangles, while the second question involves using geometry to find the speed at which the ships are separating. The conversation also includes some suggestions and calculations to help solve the problems.
erik05
There are two questions that I'm stuck on and I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm more worried about the process of finding the right answer than the answer itself. Thanks in advance.

1) A man who is 2 m tall is walking straight away from a lamppost at a rate of 8 km/h. The lamppost is 7 m high. How fast is the end of his shadow moving when he is 7 m from the foot of the lamppost? Ans: 11.2 km/h

I know that you have to use the property of similar triangles but I'm not too sure how to set it up. Any suggestions?

2) Two ships start out from harbour at the same time; one travels northeast and the other southeast. If the first has a speed of 16 kn and the second 12 kn, how fast are they separating after 1 h? Ans: 20 kn

Would it help to know what kn stood for? Because I have no idea. Anyways, I started out with a coordinate grid with the harbour at (0,0) and the first ship at (x,16) and the second ship at (x,-12). Don't really know if this is the right to approach this but I had to start with something. Thanks, and have a good night.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a triangle inscribed in a triangle, sharing the two non vertical sides
The vertical end is the lamppost, the vertical centerline is the man. You want ds/dt (speed of shadow), given dx/dt = 8

Well the main step here is drawing a relationship between how far the man is and where his shadow is. Using trig properties, take a couple stabs at possible relationships between his distance from the post and the distance of the end of his shadow to the post.

Okay, I got the first question..thanks whozum. Could anyone help me out on the second question?

this is simple geometry. it is a right triangle, and the ships path are the two sides. the hypotenuse is the distance between them.

so, [itex](\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2=(\frac{ds}{dt})^2[/itex](dx/dt=12kn and dy/dt=16kn).

so, [itex]12^2+16^2=(\frac{ds}{dt})^2~~144+256=(\frac{ds}{dt})^2~~400=(\frac{ds}{dt})^2~~\frac{ds}{dt}=20[/itex]
so, the ships are moving away from each other at 20kn.

Last edited:

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving problem-solving skills in math takes practice and patience. Some tips include breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps, using visual aids or diagrams, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

2. What are some common strategies for solving difficult math problems?

Some common strategies for solving difficult math problems include identifying any patterns or relationships within the problem, working backwards, and using trial and error. It may also be helpful to re-read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked.

3. How can I stay focused and motivated while working on challenging math problems?

Staying focused and motivated while working on challenging math problems can be difficult, but setting small goals and taking breaks can help. It may also be helpful to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of improving your math skills and to seek support from friends, family, or a tutor.

4. What are some resources for finding help with difficult math problems?

There are many resources available for finding help with difficult math problems. Your teacher or tutor can provide guidance and support, and there are also online forums and websites where you can ask for help from other students or math experts. Additionally, there are many books and study guides specifically designed to help with math problem-solving.

5. How can I overcome my fear of difficult math problems?

It is common to feel anxious or afraid when faced with difficult math problems, but remember that it is a normal part of the learning process. To overcome this fear, try to approach the problem with a positive mindset and remind yourself that mistakes are a natural part of learning. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and celebrate small victories along the way.