External torque needed to keep a small rotating loop in motion

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
Idl B_\| cos^2 \alpha Gamma = \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} d\Gamma = 2a \mu_0 I B_\| \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} cos^2 \alpha d \alpha = 2a \mu_0 I B_\| \pi = \frac{\mu_0 w}{R}(2a^2 B \pi)^2 sin^2 (wt) Herman, the conversation above is discussing the problem of finding the external torque required to keep a small loop rotating around a diameter of a larger fixed loop while a constant current is sent through the larger loop. The torque
heman
Hi,,

A small circular loop of radius a and Resistance R is kept Coplanar and concentric with a large circular loop of radius b,a<<b.The large loop is kept fixed in space and a constant current I is sent through it.Now the small loop is rotated with a constant velocity w about a diameter.Neglecting the effect of back emf on the current in the small loop find the external torque required on the small loop to keep it in rotation...

Pls help me to how to go for this Problem...I will be grateful for urs Help..
Regards
Heman

Physics news on Phys.org
heman said:
Hi,,

A small circular loop of radius a and Resistance R is kept Coplanar and concentric with a large circular loop of radius b,a<<b.The large loop is kept fixed in space and a constant current I is sent through it.Now the small loop is rotated with a constant velocity w about a diameter.Neglecting the effect of back emf on the current in the small loop find the external torque required on the small loop to keep it in rotation...

Pls help me to how to go for this Problem...I will be grateful for urs Help..
Regards
Heman

Pls help me out...

Hey Dexter...I know u can help me...Pls suggest me something how to go abt. it..

Please be patient, I'm sure somebody will help you. :)

maxpayne_lhp said:
Please be patient, I'm sure somebody will help you. :)

Gentleman ...3 days have passed...i am thinking is that Problem really tough..

Torque seems to be a function of time. After some calculations (lengthy), I am getting that torque is propotional to [tex]sin^2 \theta[/tex] where [tex]\w=d\theta/dt[/tex]. Are you supplied with the answer? Please post if you have.

Thx for it...Sorry i don't have solution..bu can u tell me how did u reached here..i just need to know how to start in it and what is this back emf pointed out here

Common Guys...u can tell me how to do it...Pls somehow collect some energy and Pls tell me how to go about it...Pls exercise urs brain a little bit for me..i will be highly thankful.

Let B be the induced magnetic field at the small loop (since a<<b one can assume that B is uniform inside the small circle)
[tex] B = \mu_0 I/2b [/tex]

Let the loops be in the xy plane at the beginning. So, B is in z direction. Let the diameter about which the loop spins is along the y axis. At any time t, let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the angle between the plane of the loop and the xy plane. I have to add a diagram I guess.

Flux [tex] \phi = B \pi a^2 cos \theta [/tex]

Induced emf = [tex]-d\phi/dt = -B \pi a^2 w sin \theta [/tex]
where i used [tex] w=\frac{d\theta} {dt}[/tex]

Current I = emf/R

[tex] I = \frac{B\pi a^2 w sin \theta}{R}[/tex]

What is the force on the small loop due to the magnetic field B? Its easier to consider the component of B parallel and perpendicular to the loop's plane.

[tex] B_ \bot = B cos \theta [/tex] does not contribute to the torque since the forces are directed towards the center (clockwise current)
[tex] B_ \| = B sin \theta [/tex] is in the plane of the loop which contribute to the torque.

To find the torque you need to find the torque due to each current element Idl and integrate. To do this consider a small current element at an angle alpha. see figure.
[tex] \Gamma = \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \mu_0 I dl *cos \alpha *B_\| ( 2a *cos \alpha) [/tex]

where [tex] dl = a d \alpha [/tex]

[tex] \Gamma= \frac{\mu_0 w}{R}(2a^2 B \pi)^2 sin^2 (wt)[/tex]

Comments welcome.

Thanx Gamma...Thankx very very much for urs enthusiasm...
I was unclear about the point how to take the Field...
But still 1 doubt Gamma...
How did u write the expression of Torque ..Pls Elaborate.

Here is the diagram.

[tex] dF= \mu_0 I dl x B_ \|= \mu_0Idl B_\| cos \alpha [/tex]

[tex]d\Gamma = dF * 2a cos \alpha[/tex]

Attachments

• emf.JPG
    emf.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 365

What is EMF and how is it related to science?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, and it is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is related to science because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain many phenomena in the natural world.

What are the potential health effects of exposure to EMF?

The potential health effects of exposure to EMF are a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some studies have suggested a link between high levels of EMF exposure and certain health conditions, such as cancer and neurological disorders. However, the overall scientific consensus is that there is no conclusive evidence to support these claims.

What are some common sources of EMF?

Some common sources of EMF include power lines, household appliances, cell phones, and Wi-Fi routers. These devices emit low levels of EMF, which are generally considered safe. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF, such as those found in certain occupational settings, may pose a potential risk to health.

How can someone reduce their exposure to EMF?

To reduce exposure to EMF, one can limit the use of electronic devices, especially those that emit a strong electromagnetic field. Additionally, using hands-free devices for cell phones, keeping a safe distance from power lines, and choosing low EMF options for household appliances can all help to minimize exposure.

What is the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing EMF?

The main difference between ionizing and non-ionizing EMF is the amount of energy they carry. Ionizing EMF has high levels of energy and can cause damage to cells and DNA, potentially leading to health problems such as cancer. Non-ionizing EMF, on the other hand, has lower energy levels and is considered to be less harmful to human health.