1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating coefficients of volume, linear expansion with height

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a liquid with a coefficient of volume expansion B(beta symbol) just fills a spherical shell of volume Vinitial, at a temp of Tinitial. The Shell has average coefficient of linear expansion a(alpha symbol). The liquid is free to expand into a open capillary of area A projecting from the top of the sphere. A) the temp increases by delta(change symbol)T. Show that the liquid rises in the capillary by the amount delta,h given by the equation delta,h=(Vintial/A)(B-3a)(deltaT).

-B is the beta coefficient Volume expansion(i dont know how to actually type that in)
    -a is alpha linear explansion
    -A is area

2. Relevant equations
    changeofV=BVinitial(changeoftemp)
    B=3*a(aplha)

3. The attempt at a solution
    im kind of confused at how to do this problem since everything is given in variables and no actual quantitys are involved, i also dont have anything in my notes in regards of how to relate changeof height to change of volume but anyhow

my attempted solution, changeofh=(Vinitial/A)(B-3a)(Tinitial+changeofT).....

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted