Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating Molar Enthalpy of Oil to Something: Need Lab Ideas

1. Jan 15, 2005 #1
    Hi.
    I have this BIG lab that is due really soon and I need ideas. We are going to find the molar enthalpy of edible oils (vegetable, canola, virgin, grape seed, sunflower). Since this is a big lab, we are going to be expected to relate molar enthalpy of the oil to something. Preferably something useful in real life. I was thinking of relating molar enthalpy to the bonds of the oil, but after much searching, I have found absolutely nothing. Maybe the molar enthalpy of oil can be related to something that can be tested in the lab. I am hoping that someone here may be of assistance and suggest some ideas. I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you could define the problem better, that would help. Can you state the problem, exactly as it appears in your lab notes or wherever ?

There are several molar enthalpies - for combustion, hydrogenation, dehydrogenation, etc. - depending on the prrocess involved. Which is it ?

4. Jan 15, 2005 #3
    Sorry, there is no lab notes. We basically have to make up this lab. I am solving for the molar enthalpy of fusion (solid to liquid).

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The molar enthalpy of fusion is related to the intermolecular bonding in the solid and liquid phases.

Some other observables that I can imagine will be related to these are :

1) Difference in densities of solid and liquid (while you are doing the experiment, you could measure the weights and volumes to find the densities.)

2) Difference in temperatures between the melting/freezing point and the boiling point. (but the boiling point may be very difficult to determine for some oils, because they will decompose or combust before they boil. ) Typically, the stronger the smell of the oil, the lower will be its theoretical boiling point. Ask yourself why this might be true ?

6. Jan 17, 2005 #5
    Ok looks like I am doing density. What is the relationship between density and molar enthalpy? And is there a relationship between density and specific heat capacity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?