Relating Molar Enthelpy of Oil to Something: Need Lab Ideas

In summary: The relationship between density and molar enthalpy is that the higher the density of the liquid, the higher the molar enthalpy of the liquid. There is no direct relationship between density and specific heat capacity, but denser liquids have higher specific heat capacities.
nobb
Hi.
I have this BIG lab that is due really soon and I need ideas. We are going to find the molar enthalpy of edible oils (vegetable, canola, virgin, grape seed, sunflower). Since this is a big lab, we are going to be expected to relate molar enthalpy of the oil to something. Preferably something useful in real life. I was thinking of relating molar enthalpy to the bonds of the oil, but after much searching, I have found absolutely nothing. Maybe the molar enthalpy of oil can be related to something that can be tested in the lab. I am hoping that someone here may be of assistance and suggest some ideas. I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you could define the problem better, that would help. Can you state the problem, exactly as it appears in your lab notes or wherever ?

There are several molar enthalpies - for combustion, hydrogenation, dehydrogenation, etc. - depending on the prrocess involved. Which is it ?

Sorry, there is no lab notes. We basically have to make up this lab. I am solving for the molar enthalpy of fusion (solid to liquid).

The molar enthalpy of fusion is related to the intermolecular bonding in the solid and liquid phases.

Some other observables that I can imagine will be related to these are :

1) Difference in densities of solid and liquid (while you are doing the experiment, you could measure the weights and volumes to find the densities.)

2) Difference in temperatures between the melting/freezing point and the boiling point. (but the boiling point may be very difficult to determine for some oils, because they will decompose or combust before they boil. ) Typically, the stronger the smell of the oil, the lower will be its theoretical boiling point. Ask yourself why this might be true ?

Ok looks like I am doing density. What is the relationship between density and molar enthalpy? And is there a relationship between density and specific heat capacity?

1. What is molar enthalpy and how is it related to oil?

Molar enthalpy is a measure of the amount of energy contained in a specific amount of substance, typically measured in joules per mole. In the context of oil, molar enthalpy refers to the amount of energy released or absorbed when a specified quantity of oil is burned or undergoes a chemical reaction.

2. How can we determine the molar enthalpy of oil in a lab?

One way to determine the molar enthalpy of oil in a lab is to conduct a calorimetry experiment. This involves burning a known amount of oil in a specialized container called a calorimeter and measuring the change in temperature of the surrounding water. From this change in temperature and the known properties of water, the molar enthalpy of the oil can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the molar enthalpy of oil?

The molar enthalpy of oil can be affected by several factors, including the type of oil being used, the amount of oxygen available for combustion, and the temperature and pressure of the surroundings. Other factors such as impurities or additives in the oil can also influence its molar enthalpy.

4. How does the molar enthalpy of oil relate to its energy density?

The molar enthalpy of oil is directly related to its energy density, which is the amount of energy per unit of volume or mass. Oils with higher molar enthalpies will have a higher energy density, meaning they can release more energy per unit of volume when burned.

5. Can the molar enthalpy of oil be used to compare different types of oil?

Yes, the molar enthalpy of oil can be used as a quantitative measure to compare the energy content of different types of oil. This can be useful in determining which type of oil is more efficient for a certain application, such as fuel for vehicles or heating systems.