1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating Radiancy to Energy Density?

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1

eck

I'm looking through some of my physics notes where we derived radiancy equations for black body radiation (Rayleigh-Jeans and Planck), and I have a quick question. In class, we went through the derivation for the energy density as a function of frequency and temperature. However, I can't find anything in my notes about how radiancy is related to energy density. I tried to look online, and didn't find anything helpful, other than the equation that relates them: [tex] R(\nu ,T) = c/4 u(\nu ,T) [/tex], where u is the energy density and R is the radiancy. From the units it looks like radiancy is the power per area per time, but I am totally mystified by the factor c/4. Can anyone quickly go over where this comes from?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

eck

Sorry, the TeX came out wrong. It should be one-fourth times c times u (nu, T).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?