1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between angular momentum and total engery

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Express the total energy of an electron in the Coulomb potential of proton through the electron's angular momentum L and the shortest distance a between the proton and the electron's orbit. Hint: The electron's velocity is perpendicular to it's position vector whenever it is distance a away from the proton.

b) For a fixed L, minimize the expression found in (a) with respect to a. Show that the minimum corresponds to the case of a circular orbit. State the minimum value of the total energy for fixed L.

2. Relevant equations
    L=sqrt(l2+l)ћ
    Lz=mlћ
    L=r x mv=Iω
    En=-mee4/[2(4πε0)2ћ2n2]
    n > l > |ml| > 0
    KE=.5Iω2

3. The attempt at a solution
    E=U+KE => E= .5L*v/a - e^2/[4πε0a]
    I have little confidence in that as a solution. Either I've stopped short or I'm going in the wrong direction, I'm not sure. I really only want help with part (a)... Once I get that far I should be handle (b) somewhat easily, I just wanted to provide context for the problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?