Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between covariant differential and covariant derivative

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    In Theodore Frankel's book, "The Geometry of Physics", he observes at page 248 that the covariant derivative of a vector field can be written as

$$\nabla_X v = e_iX^j (v^i_{,j} + \omega^i_{jk} v^k)= e_i(dv^i(X) + \omega^i_k(X) v^k) = e_i (dv^i + \omega^i_k v^k)(X)$$

where ##\omega^i_k = \omega^i_{jk} dx^j##, such that we can write

##\nabla v = e_i\otimes (dv^i + \omega^i_k v^k)##. He then goes on to define the "covariant differential" of a vector valued p-form ##\alpha = e_i \otimes \alpha^i## as

$$ \nabla \alpha = e_i \otimes (d\alpha^i + \omega^i_k \wedge \alpha^k)$$

I was then left wondering what relation the "covariant differential" had to the covariant derivative of the vector valued p-form? Since we had that ##\nabla v (X) = \nabla_X v## for a 'vector valued zero form', does one have something like ##\nabla \alpha (X) = \nabla_X \alpha## for a vector valued p-form? Is there any relation here?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted