Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between de Sitter group and poincare's group.

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I have a question about groups: What is the de Sitter group?? and how does it relate to poncaire's group?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 23, 2013 #3

strangerep

Science Advisor

Your question needs to be a bit more specific. Since you asked in a relativity forum, I guess you're interested in possible physical applications, not just the math. You could try looking up Wikipedia for "de Sitter space" and "de Sitter relativity", in which the de Sitter group is the invariance group, just as the Poincare group is the invariance group applicable in Minkowski spacetime.

De Sitter space is also one of the few spaces of constant curvature, and one generally introduces an associated universal length constant which some researchers (speculatively) try to relate to the cosmological constant ##\Lambda##. In a limit as we take this length constant very large, de Sitter contracts to Poincare. (Here I use the word "contracts" in the sense of group contraction, i.e., similarly to how the Poincare group contracts to the Galilei group in the limit as ##c \to \infty##.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook