1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between no. of electrons in a small enery interval at vacuum and fermi level

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    I posted this in the math forum by mistake, so posting it here now instead

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cutoff frequency for the photoelectric effect for silver is 1.089*10^15 Hz and its Fermienergy at T = 0 degrees Celsius is 5.5 eV.

Calculate the relation between the number of electrons in a very small energyinterval at vakuumlevel (that is, the energylevel at which electrons are "freed" from the metal) and a small interval att the Fermilevel.
    Assume T = 0 degrees Celsius.

2. Relevant equations
    I THINK theses are the relevant equations.

Fermi-dirac distribution
    f(E) = 1 / (e(E-EF)/(kT)+1)

(density of states, free-electron model)
    g(E) =((2m)3/2 * V) / (2*Pi2*(h/2*pi)3) * E1/2

V = L^3 (L = length of cubic "box")

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that because the intervals are small, there should be some way to use the derivate to find what I'm seeking. And I think I need to combine the two equations i wrote earlier.

But I'm stuck and now time is running out. I would really appreciate some help.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?