Relation between system enthelpy and surrounding entropy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between entropy and enthalpy in a system and its surroundings. It is stated that ΔStotal=ΔSsystem+ΔSsurrounding and ΔSsurr=-ΔH/T, leading to ΔStotal=ΔSsystem+[-ΔHsystem/T]. The correctness of this relationship is questioned, with the suggestion that ΔHsurroundings should be used instead of ΔHsystem. The conversation then goes on to discuss the conservation of energy and how it relates to the relationship between ΔHsystem and ΔHsurroundings. It is ultimately concluded that ΔHsystem=-ΔHsurroundings if energy is taken from the surroundings to the system
mooncrater

Homework Statement

It is given in my book that:
ΔStotal=ΔSsystem+ΔSsurrounding
Where S is entropy.
ΔSsurr=-ΔH/T
Therefore:
ΔStotal=ΔSsystem+[-ΔHsystem/T]

As we can see here that ΔSsurrounding=-ΔHsystem/T
is applied here . But is this relation correct?

Homework Equations

ΔS=qreversible/T
Where qreversible is the heat input which is equal to ΔH(enthalpy) for constant P and T.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think is that , instead of ΔHsystem there should be ΔHsurroundings
Since the change in entropy of surroundings is taken. Am I correct here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You you consider system plus the surrounding to be an isolated system and apply conservation of energy, you will find the relation between ΔHsystem and ΔHsurrounding
By the way you are correct here-
mooncrater said:
there should be ΔHsurroundings
And they have not used ΔHsystem instead of ΔHsurrounding They have made use of the energy conservation equation I am talking about.

I think the relation you're talking about is
ΔHsystem=-ΔHsurroundings
If energy is taken from the surroundings to the system.
Therefore when:
ΔSsystem=ΔHsystem/T will be equal to minus of ΔHsurroundings
/T
Am I correct here?

Likes Vatsal Sanjay
Yes you're correct

Likes mooncrater

1. What is the definition of system enthalpy?

System enthalpy is the total energy of a thermodynamic system, including its internal energy and the work required to create or maintain the system's volume and pressure.

2. How is system enthalpy related to surrounding entropy?

System enthalpy and surrounding entropy are related through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a closed system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This means that as the system's enthalpy increases, the surrounding entropy also increases.

3. Why is the relation between system enthalpy and surrounding entropy important?

The relationship between system enthalpy and surrounding entropy is important because it helps us understand the flow and transformation of energy in thermodynamic systems. It also allows us to predict how a system will behave under different conditions and how it will interact with its surroundings.

4. How does the concept of reversibility relate to this relationship?

Reversibility is an important concept in thermodynamics and it relates to the relationship between system enthalpy and surrounding entropy. A reversible process is one in which both the system and its surroundings can be returned to their original state without any net change in entropy. This means that in a reversible process, the change in enthalpy of the system is equal to the change in entropy of the surroundings.

5. Can the relationship between system enthalpy and surrounding entropy be used to determine the spontaneity of a process?

Yes, the relationship between system enthalpy and surrounding entropy can be used to determine the spontaneity of a process. A process is considered spontaneous if the total change in entropy (system + surroundings) is positive. This means that for a spontaneous process, the increase in entropy of the surroundings must be greater than the decrease in enthalpy of the system.