1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between the matrix elements of the density matrix

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    Hi. I must prove that, in general, the following relation is valid for the elements of a density matrix

[tex] \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2}. [/tex]

I did it for a 2x2 matrix. The density matrix is given by

[tex] \rho = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \rho_{11} & \rho_{12} \\ \rho^{\ast}_{12} & \rho_{22} \end{array}\right]. [/tex]

Now, the trace of the square of the density matrix is

[tex] \rho_{11}^2 + \rho_{22}^{2} + 2|\rho_{12}|^{2} \leq 1 \\ (\rho_{11} + \rho_{22})^2 + 2|\rho_{12}|^{2} - 2\rho_{11}\rho_{22} \leq 1[/tex]

Because the sum of the diagonal elements of the density matrix is 1 we have that

[tex] |\rho_{12}|^{2} \leq \rho_{11}\rho_{22} [/tex]

This is what I've done so far but I have no idea how to prove it in the general way of

[tex] \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2}. [/tex]

If, for example, the density matrix is a 3x3 matrix this means that this inequality is valid for any two elements of the diagonal. Do you know how can I approach this? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted