Relation between Torque, Speed, power etc. respect to a electric car

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and calculations involved in building an electric go kart for a final project. The desired speed is 15km/h and the total weight is 200kgs, with 30 cm tires. The motor type is BLDC with a maximum power of 350 Watt and operating voltage of 48v. The necessary torque and gearing ratio are also mentioned, along with the motor's max RPM of 4000 and peak torque of 12NM. The individual asks for assistance in calculating acceleration and assumes constant acceleration to reach 15km/h in 10 seconds.
ankgupta4
hey guys,

I am building an electric go kart for a final project, and I'm just trying to get my initial justifications correct, with respect to the classical physics involved.

SPECS: i was the car to be able to reach 15km/h,
The total weight of the car will be approx 200kgs.
the size of the tires of the car are 30 cm in diamator.

Motor Type: BLDC Motor
Maximum Power: 350 Watt
Max. Operating voltage: 48v

so i need to calculate the torque... at the wheels , and then decide on the gearing ratio! this decision is obviously indicative on the parametors of the motor i have! and the goals i want to achieve! The Motor i have has a max RPM of 4000, and a peak torque of 12NM.

can anyone show me best how to perform these calculations ? i understand that i need acceleration ! can i assume constant acceleration ? if that is the case can i just say i would like the car to accelerate to 15km/h in 10 seconds

... any help will be much appreciated !
Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is your final project these should be easy to figure out -

1 estimate speed of the go-cart to the rpm of the wheel, then compare to the motor max speed.

2 acceleration will depend on the torque and then force where the wheel meets the road...

1. How does torque affect the performance of an electric car?

The torque of an electric car determines its acceleration and towing capacity. Higher torque means faster acceleration and the ability to tow heavier loads.

2. What is the relationship between speed and power in an electric car?

Speed and power are directly related in an electric car. As the speed increases, the power output also increases. This is because the electric motor needs more power to maintain higher speeds.

3. How does the battery capacity affect the torque and speed of an electric car?

The battery capacity of an electric car directly affects its torque and speed. A larger battery capacity allows for more energy to be delivered to the motor, resulting in higher torque and faster speeds.

4. What role does the motor play in the torque and speed of an electric car?

The motor is the main component that produces torque and speed in an electric car. The size and power of the motor determine the maximum torque and speed that the car can achieve.

5. Does regenerative braking affect the torque and speed of an electric car?

Yes, regenerative braking can affect the torque and speed of an electric car. When the brakes are applied, the electric motor works in reverse to slow down the car and convert the kinetic energy into electrical energy, which is then stored in the battery. This means that the energy available for acceleration may be affected by how often and how aggressively the brakes are used.