What is the Relationship Between X and Y in these Mathematical Sequences?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the relationship between X and Y is the correlation or connection between two variables, which can be positive, negative, or nonexistent. The strength of this relationship can be determined by calculating the correlation coefficient. It is important to note that a relationship between X and Y does not necessarily imply causation, and further research is needed to establish causation. Correlation and causation are different concepts, with correlation referring to a relationship and causation referring to a direct cause-and-effect relationship. The relationship between X and Y can have practical applications in various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and social sciences, by helping to predict outcomes, identify patterns, and make informed decisions.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find the relationship between $X$ and $Y$ if \(\displaystyle X= 1 + \frac{2}{1!}- \frac{2^3}{3!}+ \frac{2^5}{5!}- \frac{2^7}{7!}+\cdots ...\) and \(\displaystyle Y= 2-\frac{4}{3!}+\frac{6}{5!}-\frac{8}{7!}+\frac{10}{9!}-\cdots ...\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My suggested solution:

Comparing:
\[X = 1 + \frac{2^1}{1!}-\frac{2^3}{3!}+\frac{2^5}{5!}-\frac{2^7}{7!}+...\]

- with the Taylor expansion of $sinx$ :

\[sinx =^* x -\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\frac{x^7}{7!}+...\]

- implies: $X = 1 + sin(2)$

Rewriting the other sum series,$ Y$:

\[Y = 2 - \frac{4}{3!}+\frac{6}{5!}-\frac{8}{7!}+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{3}{3!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{5}{5!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{7}{7!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{1}{2!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{1}{4!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{1}{6!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^i}{2i!} + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^j}{(2j+1)!} \\\\ = cos(1)+sin(1)\]

In the last identity (and at (*)) , I have used the following two series (warmest regards to wikipedia ;) ):

\[cosx= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ix^{2i}}{2i!} \\\\ sinx = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^jx^{2j+1}}{(2j+1)!}\]

Thus, $Y = cos(1)+sin(1)$

Therefore, the relation between $X$ and $Y$ is: $X = Y^2$.

lfdahl said:
My suggested solution:
Comparing: \[X = 1 + \frac{2^1}{1!}-\frac{2^3}{3!}+\frac{2^5}{5!}-\frac{2^7}{7!}+...\]- with the Taylor expansion of $sinx$ :\[sinx =^* x -\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\frac{x^7}{7!}+...\]- implies: $X = 1 + sin(2)$Rewriting the other sum series,$ Y$:\[Y = 2 - \frac{4}{3!}+\frac{6}{5!}-\frac{8}{7!}+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{3}{3!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{5}{5!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{7}{7!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{1}{2!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{1}{4!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{1}{6!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^i}{2i!} + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^j}{(2j+1)!} \\\\ = cos(1)+sin(1)\]In the last identity (and at (*)) , I have used the following two series (warmest regards to wikipedia ;) ):\[cosx= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ix^{2i}}{2i!} \\\\ sinx = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^jx^{2j+1}}{(2j+1)!}\]Thus, $Y = cos(1)+sin(1)$Therefore, the relation between $X$ and $Y$ is: $X = Y^2$.
nice and remarkable!

Y is the letter in the alphabet just after X.

-Dan

lfdahl said:
My suggested solution:

Comparing:
\[X = 1 + \frac{2^1}{1!}-\frac{2^3}{3!}+\frac{2^5}{5!}-\frac{2^7}{7!}+...\]

- with the Taylor expansion of $sinx$ :

\[sinx =^* x -\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\frac{x^7}{7!}+...\]

- implies: $X = 1 + sin(2)$

Rewriting the other sum series,$ Y$:

\[Y = 2 - \frac{4}{3!}+\frac{6}{5!}-\frac{8}{7!}+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{3}{3!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{5}{5!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{7}{7!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = 2 - \left ( \frac{1}{2!}+\frac{1}{3!} \right )+\left ( \frac{1}{4!}+\frac{1}{5!} \right )-\left ( \frac{1}{6!}+\frac{1}{7!} \right )+... \\\\ = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^i}{2i!} + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^j}{(2j+1)!} \\\\ = cos(1)+sin(1)\]

In the last identity (and at (*)) , I have used the following two series (warmest regards to wikipedia ;) ):

\[cosx= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ix^{2i}}{2i!} \\\\ sinx = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^jx^{2j+1}}{(2j+1)!}\]

Thus, $Y = cos(1)+sin(1)$

Therefore, the relation between $X$ and $Y$ is: $X = Y^2$.

Very well done, lfdahl, and thanks for participating!

topsquark said:
Y is the letter in the alphabet just after X.

-Dan

LOL! Very funny, Dan!

What is the relationship between X and Y?

The relationship between X and Y refers to the connection or correlation between two variables. It can be positive, negative, or no relationship at all.

How do you determine the strength of the relationship between X and Y?

The strength of the relationship between X and Y can be determined by calculating the correlation coefficient, which measures the degree of linear relationship between the two variables.

Can a relationship between X and Y be causation?

No, a relationship between X and Y does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. It is important to consider other factors and conduct further research to determine causation.

What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to the relationship between two variables, while causation refers to the idea that one variable directly causes changes in another variable. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

How can the relationship between X and Y be applied in real-life situations?

The relationship between X and Y can be applied in various fields and industries, such as healthcare, finance, and social sciences. It can help in predicting outcomes, identifying patterns, and making informed decisions.