1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relation proof

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Help with either of these problems would be great.

1. Suppose R is a partial order on A and [tex]B\subseteq A[/tex]. Prove that [tex]R \cap \left(B\times B\right)[/tex] is a partial order on B.

2. Suppose R1 is a partial order on A1, R2 is a partial order on A2, and [tex]A_1 \cap A_2 = \emptyset[/tex]

Prove that [tex]R_1 \cup R_2[/tex] is a partial order on [tex]A_1 \cup A_2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I'm confused what I am supposed to do with [tex]R \cap \left(B\times B\right)[/tex]...

2. I know that a partial order is a relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive, so I would think that I would have to prove that [tex]R_1 \cup R_2[/tex] is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive on [tex]A_1 \cup A_2[/tex]. I'm able to prove that [tex]R_1 \cup R_2[/tex] is reflexive by supposing that x is an arbitrary element of [tex]A_1 \cup A_2[/tex] and then using the fact that R1 and R2 are reflexive. I can't figure out how to prove the antisymmetric and transitive parts though.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    (1) If [tex]B\subset A[/tex], then [tex]B\times B\subset A\times A[/tex]. Make sure you understand how a relation is defined in terms of the cartesian product of the base set with itself, and this should make sense immediately.

(2) Use the fact that [tex]A_1,A_2[/tex] are disjoint to see that no element of [tex]A_1[/tex] is related to any element from [tex]A_2[/tex], and go from there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook